Enda Kenny expects to be vindicated by Fennelly report

Joan Burton expects details of inquiry into Callinan’s departure to be published today

Enda Kenny said he hoped to publish the Fennelly report as quickly as he can and feels he will be vindicated by it. The near 300 page report is expected to be published today.

 

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said he has nothing to fear from the publication of the Fennelly report.

Tánaiste Joan Burton said she expected the report by Mr Justice Nial Fennelly into the departure of former Garda commissioner Martin Callinan would be published later on Tuesday.

“I expect and hope we will see the Fennelly report being published later today subject to the legal clearance by the Attorney General,” Ms Burton said.“At that point I will have an opportunity to read the report like everybody else and I anticipate Mr Justice Fennelly will address the issues.”

Mr Kenny confirmed he had read the 300-page interim report on Tuesday. Mr Callinan retired following a visit to his home by former Department of Justice secretary general Brian Purcell. The matter caused political controversy, and the Opposition accused Mr Kenny of effectively sacking him. The Taoiseach rejected the allegations.

Speaking on Tuesday, the Taoiseach said he felt he would be vindicated by the findings.

“The centre charge against me in relation to the (then) garda commissioner, I have rejected that always and I still do,” he said.

“It is my intention actually to publish it as soon as I can. And as I’ve said, the central charge made against me - of breaking the law and sacking the Garda Commissioner - I’ve rejected that always and still do...I look forward to publication of the report.

Asked specifically if the report criticised his role or that of other Government figures, Mr Kenny replied: “Well, you’ll see the report. The report will be published. Obviously, there are a whole range of facts outlined by the Commission in respect of communication and issues relating to Government departments.”

The Fennelly commission was established last year to investigate the taping of phone calls at Garda stations, but decided to produce an interim report on Mr Callinan’s retirement.

The interim report will also deal with a letter sent to Mr Purcell in March 2014 by Mr Callinan on the taping issue.

Draft copies of the report were distributed to interested parties earlier this summer, with a period allowed for follow- up submissions on the draft findings.

It is understood a number of changes have been made between the draft report and the completed interim report.

Extracts of the completed interim report were sent to interested parties over the past week. It is understood they were given a number of days to respond.