List of most borrowed library books revealed
Solar Bones by Irish author Mike McCormack library users’ most popular adult book
Irish writer Mike McCormack’s 2016 novel, Solar Bones, was the most commonly borrowed adult book in Irish libraries last year. File photograph: PA
Published over two decades ago, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone topped the list of the most borrowed library books in Ireland last year.
The second most popular book borrowed from public libraries was Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School, by author Jeff Kinney.
The 2016 novel, Solar Bones, by Irish writer Mike McCormack was the most commonly borrowed adult book. Television chat show host Graham Norton’s book Holding was the next most popular library book taken out by adults last year, followed by Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent.
Other popular books checked out by adults included Guinness World Records 2018, and the Road Safety Authority driver theory test guide. Novels frequently borrowed included The Break by Marian Keyes, Woman in the Window by A J Finn, and Skin Deep by Liz Nugent.
American author James Patterson topped the list for the most read author among adults. He was also the only adults’ book author to make the list of the 20 overall most popular authors. Among some of the other most popular authors borrowed by adults were Nora Roberts, Lee Child, Anthony Horowitz, John Grisham, John Boyne, and Roddy Doyle.
In total three books from the Harry Potter series were among the five most commonly borrowed books, with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban taking spots four and five.
British author Roald Dahl’s 1982 classic, The BFG, was the third most borrowed book last year.
The statistics from public libraries across the country were compiled by the Local Government Management Agency.
Tom Enright, chair of the National Libraries development committee, said the amount of children’s literature among the list of most borrowed books was positive. “I am very encouraged to see so many children’s books and authors on the list,” he said.
“The Irish public library collection has over 12 million items available . . . completely free, and we are inviting everybody, young and old, to explore what’s on offer,” he said.
Top 20 books borrowed in Irish public libraries 2018
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone , J.K. Rowling
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School, Jeff Kinney
- The BFG, Roald Dahl
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Double Down, Jeff Kinney
- Awful Auntie, David Walliams
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck, Jeff Kinney
- Wonder, R.J. Palacio
- James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
- Ratburger, David Walliams
- Matilda, Roald Dahl
- The World's Worst Children, David Walliams
- Gangsta Granny, David Walliams
- Fantastic Mr Fox, Roald Dahl
- Demon Dentist, David Walliams
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel, Jeff Kinney
- Grandpa's Great Escape, David Walliams
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever, Jeff Kinney
- Under the Hawthorn Tree, Marita Conlon-McKenna
Top 20 adult books borrowed in Irish public libraries 2018
- Solar Bones, Mike McCormack
- Holding, Graham Norton
- Lying in Wait, Liz Nugent
- Guinness World Records 2018, Guinness World Records 2018
- The Break, Marian Keyes
- The Midnight Line: (Jack Reacher 22), Lee Child
- Woman in the Window, A J Finn
- The Long Gaze Back: An Anthology of Irish Women Writers, Edited by Sinead Gleeson
- Skin Deep, Liz Nugent
- The Plan, Aoife Hearne
- Night School: (Jack Reacher 21), Lee Child
- The Couple Next Door, Shari Lapena
- All the Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr
- Karl Henry's Healthy Living Handbook, Karl Henry
- Driver Theory Test, Road Safety Authority
- The Wrong Side of Goodbye, Michael Connelly
- Days Without End, Sebastian Barry
- Mindful Walking: Walk Your Way to Mental and Physical Well-Being, Hugh O’Donovan
- The Whistler, John Grisham
- Smile, Roddy Doyle