Insect-eating competitor dies in US
The winner of an insect-eating contest in Florida has died shortly after eating dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during a contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 64kms north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Edward Archbold (32) became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement.
He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities are waiting for results of a postmortem examination to determine a cause of death.
None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff’s office said.
“We feel terribly awful,” said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Mr Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest.
“He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice,” Mr Siegel said, adding that Mr Archbold was “the life of the party”.
Mr Siegel added Mr Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.
A statement from Mr Siegel’s lawyer said all the participants signed waivers “accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest”.
The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects “that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles”.