RTÉ to seek clarity on Creaven offences from gardaí

Broadcaster wants to know if ex-employee committed offences on company time

Kieran Creaven arrives at Leeds Magistrates Court, December 2017

Kieran Creaven arrives at Leeds Magistrates Court, December 2017

 

RTÉ has said it is seeking clarification from An Garda Síochána regarding the investigation into former producer Kieran Creaven who was jailed on Friday for 10 years for sexually abusing and exploiting young children.

It is understood the State broadcaster is seeking to establish from gardaí whether Creaven committed any offences on RTÉ time or used any equipment owned by RTÉ.

The State broadcaster said in a statement on Sunday evening it was “appalled” to learn the details of the “abhorrent crimes” committed by Creaven, which emerged from the Garda investigation and were revealed in Dublin District Court in November and last Friday during sentencing.

“While RTÉ provided assistance to An Garda Síochána as requested during its investigation, RTÉ was not privy to the details of these crimes revealed by the Garda investigation in court,” the statement said.

“Kieran Creaven was dismissed by RTÉ with immediate effect following his guilty plea to charges made against him during legal proceedings in Leeds Crown Court on Monday, December 18th, 2017.

“Kieran Creaven was charged with offences in Ireland, the UK and the Philippines. RTÉ can confirm that Creaven’s trips to Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia and Kenya were not in connection with RTÉ business. RTÉ is now seeking clarification from An Garda Síochána regarding the investigation.”

Vigilante sting

The 59-year-old former sports producer was arrested in Leeds in 2017 as a result of a sting operation by a vigilante group when he tried to meet a child for sexual activity. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the UK.

Gardaí charged him last year with a number of offences relating to child exploitation, sexual assault and possession of child-abuse material.

Creaven, of Adelaide Street, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, pleaded guilty to 10 counts, including four of child exploitation, two of sexually assaulting a child and four of child pornography. The offences took place in Ireland, the UK and the Philippines in 2014 and 2017.

He has been in custody since October last year.

Creaven engaged in behaviour “degrading in the extreme” for his vulnerable child victims, who were in some cases being abused for commercial gain, said Judge Melanie Greally as she handed down sentence on Friday.

One child in particular, who was sexually abused by Creaven in the Philippines, has never been found and her fate remains unknown, said the judge.

“As she has not been rescued, it is difficult to conceive she has any hope of a normal childhood, much less a bright future,” she said.

The judge said Creaven’s offending involved “different victims, different types of offences and different degrees of depravity”.