Sentencing of former RTÉ journalist for sexual assault adjourned

Trial heard woman woke up and found Mícheál Ó Leidhin (38) on top of her

The sentencing of a journalist employed by RTÉ for sexual assaulting a woman while she was sleeping in his bed has been adjourned.

Mícheál Ó Leidhin (38), of Sunnyside, Malahide Road, Artane, was convicted last April of sexual assault at his former home in south Dublin in the early hours of May 13th, 2018.

Ó Leidhin, a native of Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry, had denied the offence but his lawyers told a sentence hearing earlier this month at the Central Criminal Court that he now accepts the verdict of the jury.

Ms Justice Karen O’Connor on Monday noted that during the trial the evidence had been challenged and a particular narrative placed before the jury.

She told a sentence hearing that told Ó Leidhin had since expressed remorse and the court must now decide the weight that should be attached to that. She adjourned sentencing until July 27th to allow a probation report to be prepared.

At a sentence hearing last week, Garda Niall Freyne told Michael Delaney SC, prosecuting, that the complainant, who is legally entitled to anonymity, was out drinking in a Dublin pub with a female friend when they met the defendant who knew her friend.

The group went on to another pub and the woman and Ó Leidhin were kissing. At the end of the night, Ó Leidhin asked the woman to go back to his flat in south Dublin and they got a taxi.

In the flat they were kissing and Ó Leidhin engaged in consensual sexual foreplay activity. He suggested that they have penetrative sex and the woman said no but left open the possibility that they might the next morning, Mr Delaney told the court.

In his account to gardaí, Ó Leidhin said he was unable to get an erection. The woman then fell asleep and woke later to find him on top her of her and groping her breasts. She said she told him to stop and get off her. He did so and told her “sorry, I’m horny”. The court heard that the woman was annoyed and told the defendant that she was clearly asleep.

The woman said she went back to sleep. Later that night Ó Leidhin drove her home and over the following days she texted him expressing annoyance at what had happened.

He met up with her and they spoke for an hour and “they agreed to differ” about what had happened, Garda Freyne said. In April 2019, the woman went to gardaí and made a complaint of sexual assault.

The following July he met with gardaí­ and said that after falling asleep together he had woken up and started to kiss the woman and got on top of her. He said he had tried to wake her up and when she did wake up, she was annoyed at what he was doing while she was still asleep.

He told gardaí that he told the woman that they had engaged in sexual foreplay and that he had been trying to wake the woman to continue “fooling around”.

Garda Freyne told the court Ó Leidhin has no other criminal convictions and has never come to garda attention before or since the incident.

He agreed with Bernard Condon SC, defending, that he was fully co-operative with the investigation and has a good working history as a journalist.

Mr Condon said that his client has been suspended from his position in RTÉ and will have difficulties ever working in the industry again. He said his client is remorseful and that having put his understanding of what took place to the jury he accepts the jury verdict.

Reading from her own victim impact statement, the woman said that while she wished to retain her anonymity, she did not want Ó Leidhin to. She said the assault had left her traumatised and feeling lost in the world. She said she was sexually violated when she was at her most vulnerable.

She said the night of the attack was the last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack. She said she replays the assault again and again and has felt depressed and suicidal. She said she did attempt to kill herself by overdosing and ended up moving back in with her parents outside of Dublin to cope with the trauma and stress.

She said it had taken three years from the time she reported the assault for the trial to take place. This was completely unacceptable, she said, and forced victims of sexual violence to be stuck in a state of trauma.