Merry BreXmas: Have the British voted themselves out of Christmas?

In the the wake of their decision to leave the EU, the festive season may not be the same in the UK

The Advent calendar was first used by German Lutherans in the 19th and 20th centuries

The Advent calendar was first used by German Lutherans in the 19th and 20th centuries

On June 23rd this year, 51.9 per cent of those who voted in the UK referendum voted in favour of leaving the European Union. Some 48.1 per cent voted in favour of remaining.

As the season to be jolly approaches, the British are putting up their trees and reaching for the tinsel, but are they just trying to have their Christmas cake and eat it?

The Irish Times
Please subscribe or sign in to continue reading.
The Irish Times

How can I keep reading?

You’ve reached an article that is only available to Irish Times subscribers.

Subscribe today and get the full picture for just €1 for the first month.

Subscribe No obligation, cancel any time.