Ireland's best chips
Selected by Irish Times readers
The votes have been counted, and the best chips in Ireland, according to our readers who voted by email and on Facebook, are to be found at McDonagh’s, Quay Street, Galway and Jackie Lennox’s, Bandon Road, Cork.
These two chip shops received an equal number of nominations.
Anne Carey voted for McDonagh’s, which she says has “the best chips in the world”. Helen McGuinness seconded that vote, saying: “No other chips compare”. Andrew King voted for Lennox’s for its “great portions and very reasonable prices”. Fióna Ní Gháibhín also gave Lennox’s her vote, saying” it beats anything Dublin and Galway have to offer”.
Runner-up position goes to Hyland’s in Navan. Beth Price says that Hyland’s chips are “perfectly crispy yet fluffy on the inside”. Maeve Henry, a student at St Joseph’s in Navan, says they are “the best chips I have ever tasted”.
Aprile’s in Stillorgan, Co Dublin finished in fourth place, with Leo Burdock’s and San Remo in Ashbourne equal fifth.
When it comes to where we eat our chips, outdoors scored highly. Zandra Ball buys hers at Beshoff’s in Howth and eats them after a walk on the pier. Ann Power likes to get hers from Dooley’s in Tramore and eat them while walking on the beach. Anne-Marie Cunningham recommends buying chips from the Saltees chipper, Kilmore Quay, and eating them in the car, overlooking Burrow Beach on a wild and windy day.
Sarah-Louise Gill likes hers from Borza’s in Sandymount, followed by a walk on the strand. Eleanor Walsh says the chips at Reel Dingle Fish are worth driving 220 miles for. Ciara de Búrca shared the news that gluten-free chips (cooked separately from the battered fish) are sold at Beshoffs in Mespil Road, Dublin on weekends. And Seamus Martin came up with possibly the best comment of all when he said that “a good chip is the one you silently steal from the plate of the person next to you”.
Restaurant-made chips that came in for special mention include those seved with smoked paprika aioli at the Tannery in Dungarvan, nominated by Aoife Ryan; the truffle or pesto chips at Rustic Stone in Dublin (Ruth Hanly), and the ones served in the lounge at the Clarion Hotel, Dublin airport (Anne Steyaert).
Thank you to all those readers who took the trouble to tell us about their favourite chips, and where they buy them
Below are some more readers' Facebook comments on the country's best chips:
- James O'Sullivan:my ma's homemade chips!
- Catriona Cox:Jackie Lennox's, Bandon Road, Cork.
- Gerard James Hough:MacDonaghs, Galway City,preferably on a cold day; end of discussion...
- Berni Quinn:little shop in Blessington (cant remember the name) OMG....the BEST burger & chips by a mile !
- Seamus Martin:A good chip is the one you silently steal from the plate of the person next to you.
- Andrew King:I'm with you there Catriona! Lennox's is the perfect friday supper!
- Keith Moynihan O' Brien:Lennoxes in Cork, they are on every single tourist information media that relates to 'Places to Go' in Ireland and/or Cork..
- Gill McCabe:Libero's in Deansgrange!
- Colm Clom:The little shop in Blessington is "Dempsey's", and yes, they make the best chips I have ever tasted!
- Gerard James Hough: Burdocks! Lennoxs! quality nominations! macdonaghs still wins though...
- Eoin Madigan: Henry and Rose in Bray
- Ellen Murphy:Borzas in Dalkey, amazing!
- Seán Mooney:Accompanied by a few slices of batch bread and a cuppa of course. Burdocks overrated at this stage?
- Sally Ann Ryall:Ya "Dempseys " in Blessington great chips great town , come and visit .....
- Michelle Ruske:luigis in longford...
- Andrew King:Lennox's- A Cork institution Gerard, they win hands down, great portions, very reasonable prices and always eaten in the car though, they never quite make it home!!
- Donna Cathryn Elizabeth Lawless:Vinnies it was called. Think name has changed now to Gers or something like that. On the way to Carlingford Co. Louth. Gorgeous chips wrapped in paper
- Debbie Doyle: Best chips ever ... my local "Macari's" Johnstown Village, Navan ... off them for lent though ;-(
- Emma Paige:san remos in ashbourne ...the best ever
- Quinlan John:Beshoff bros for me
- Orla Brett:Lennoxes in Cork city (they do the best veggie burger too!) and close second The Premier Wexford town, great chips and Rissoles (spice burgers to non Wexfordians :)
- Completeclean Longford:Luigi's Longford
- Clare Dunne:One word - Burdox. Nom nom nom nom
- Aóife Mooney:Can't beat Furey's Homemade Chips in Moyvalley! Yum!
- Suzanne McEneaney:That's funny, had chips from a chipper tonight for the first time in months. The best around here are from The Village Take Away in Rathfarnham Main St.
- Anne Carey:Best chips in the world are in McDonagh's in Quay Street Galway - they are superb!
- Bernadette Mc Fadden:Best chips ever to be found at Poachers Inn, Bandon Cork...Yummmm!
- David J Warren:Mcdonaghs Galway, mmmh best in Ireland!
- David Holbrook:Intel are the best !
- Helen McGuinness:McDonagh's on Quay St in Galway. No other chips compare!!
- Helen McGuinness:And the second best chips in the world are my home-made ones of course ;)
- Berni Quinn:@Colm & Sally...thank for the name 'Dempseys'....stopping there for burger & chips on the way to Tullow since I was a nipper...my own kids now love them altho these day's we go out to the lakes to eat em'...with the little white bag of salt !!!
- Catherine Rotte-Murray:Lennox's Cork up near The Lough are fab - so is the Perki Chick on Dorset Street in Drumcondra - especially with their yummy battered cod!
- Anne-Marie Cunningham:Saltees chipper, Kilmore quay, best eaten in the car looking over the burrow beach on a windy wild day....
- Sarah-Louise Gill:Borzas Sandymount, best chips with just the right amount of salt and vinegar and bit of banter while you wait, the sea front is mere minutes away, the perfect seaside treat from the best chipper!
- John O'Grady:Saltees Kilmore Quay x2
- Tinas Florist:has to be 'the central grill' carrick on suir....traditional fish and chips and cleanliness 2nd to none.
- Margaret Thompson:Luigis in Longford....
- Seamus Breslin:fiorintinis, in Derry
- Nichola Shannon:Oh it has to be at my sister Mary Shannons house in Clarecastle Co Clare yum yum
- Lucinda Mc Nally:Leo Burdocks, Dublin
- Nuala McDonald O'Neill:San Marino Dundrum Dublin.
- John Doyle:Leo Burdocks for sure
- Margaret Quinn:San remo in Ashbourne village, co.meath, go there every eve!
- Keelin Estar:Sam Remo in Ashbourne! REAL chips
- Georgette D'Arcy:Dominic's in Drogheda, Co Louth.
- Lisa Irvine:Macari's in Bettystown, delicious real chips.
- Derek Judge:mCdonalds :-)
- Martin Grant:Roma,Dundalk, Ginoas Drogheda
- Amy Clifford:Jackie Lennoxs Bandon Road Cork
- Deirdre Ward:fountain in kilcullen :) best ever
- Ross Carrick:So many places dont cook them enough!
- Eoin Dineen:Has to be KC's chipper in Cork.
- Phil Gannon:The Premier, wexford town..
- David Holbrook:The best Chips in Ireland,maybe even in Europe,were in Anglo Irish Banks....roulette...we're paying for them...like drinking vinegar !
- Niamh O Mahony: Golden Grill, William St. Limerick. You will never taste better.
- Alan Cadden:Bar one Castlebar yum
- Helen McGuinness:This is pointless. It is a known fact that the best chips in Ireland are from McDonagh's in Galway. No contest.
- Ciara de Búrca:Beshoffs, Mespil Road- Tasty and Gluten free friendly at the weekends :)
- Ann Power:Dooley's in Tramore.... They taste better again if you sit and eat them while on the beach!!
- Jennifer Bohan:Aprilas stillorgan
- Bernice Dowling Rooney:Weirs in Multyfarnham,ye have to try them!
Best chips ever!
- Frank Maguire:The Intel factory , rumour has it
- Eimear Dunne:has to be Mcdonaghs in galway !
- Lisa Dempsey:Rocca in sallynoggin... Mmmmmmmmm
- Brigid Walsh:the best chips are in the lido in pearse st dublin 2
- Mary Cunniffe McGuinness:In my house!
- Niamh McCann:Aprile's in Stillorgan - They dont need to compete.
They are and always have been the best I've ever tasted.
- Paddy Murphy:Mario's, Ardee Co. Louth.
- Rachel Murphy:Cafolla's in Wexford town, delish.
- Rossa Geraghty:McDonaghs on Quay st Galway of course
- Dorothy Byrne Deely:The Penguin - New Ross, Co. Wexford
- Joey JoeJoe Junior Shabadoo: TriBeCa Restaurant Dublin
- Fióna Ní Gháibhín:Lennox's beats anything Dublin and galway have to offer. Can't comment on Limerick though it strikes my as a place that would have a great chipper
- Alan Quinn:Lennox's bandon road cork! 50 years and counting I believe
- Sinead Kehoe:Dooleys Chipper on Main St Tramore..yum yum
- Sinead Kehoe:Vinnies in Galway is the best place to finish a night out!!Ask anyone!!
- Susanne Pegg:Apriles in Stillorgan
- Jennifer Timmons:Tradewinds arklow and they have the best chicken burgers in the world!!
- Karen Treacy Phillips:Has to be Apriles in Stillorgan , Yum !
- Lisa Hunt: Presto, family run place on South Lotts Road, Ringsend.