Bolognese empanadas jalapeno crème fraiche
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 60 mins
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Irish
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 380g minced beef
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 200mls tub of creme fraiche
- 10 jalapeño slices, finely chopped
- 1 packet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a little milk
- A sprinkling of sesame seeds (optional)
- Some coriander to serve
1. Heat the oil til it is lightly smoking then carefully add the beef.
2. Let it colour for three to four minutes then add the garlic, tomatoes, stock cube and paprika.
3. Cook gently for 20 minutes, then add the honey and Worcestershire sauce. Season and allow the mixture to cool down.
4. For the sauce, mix the creme fraiche and jalapeños together then chill it.
5. Unfurl the pastry and cut out 10 circles, re-roll the pastry to get a few more circles.
6. Put a small amount of bolognese in the centre of the pastry. Fold over, pleat or otherwise seal, and brush with eggwash. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top then chill the pies for at least 20 minutes.
7. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 185 degrees Celsius then bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Serve hot with the chilled jalapeño cream with some fresh coriander on top.