Sinéad O’Connor cancels Galway arts festival show

Singer suffering from exhaustion pulls out of all summer commitments on medical advice

Irish singer Sinéad O’Connor performs during the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland on July 4th. Photograph: Jean-Christophe Bott/EPA

Irish singer Sinéad O’Connor performs during the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland on July 4th. Photograph: Jean-Christophe Bott/EPA

 

Sinéad O’Connor has cancelled all concert commitments this summer due to exhaustion.

In a statement on Tuesday night, her management said she had been suffering from a “not resolved medical situation” and has taken the decision on foot of medical advice.

It means O’Connor will miss the forthcoming Festival Big Top show at the Galway International Arts Festival on Thursday.

The concert is to proceed, however, with John Grant performing as advertised and the Sharon Shannon Big Band added to the bill.

“Sinéad O’Connor apologises profusely to her fans but she cannot travel this summer anymore,” her agent said in a statement.

“She is suffering from exhaustion due to an existing not resolved medical situation and she has been advised by the doctor to stop any activity and rest. Because of this she is completely unable to travel and to perform.”

Festival organisers said they were hugely disappointed and wished the singer a speedy recovery.

Ticket holders who no longer wish to attend the event as a result will be offered a full refund.