Web Summit’s Cosgrave pulls out of ‘Late Late’ appearance

Web Summit’s Paddy Cosgrave was due to appear on this Friday night’s show

Paddy Cosgrave, founder of The Web Summit, will not appear on Friday’s Late Late Show, despite earlier RTÉ releases claiming he was one of the main guests

Paddy Cosgrave, founder of The Web Summit, will not appear on Friday’s Late Late Show, despite earlier RTÉ releases claiming he was one of the main guests

 

Web Summit founder Paddy Cosgrave has pulled out of a scheduled appearance on Friday’s The Late Late Show, having been billed as one of the main guests. Presenter Ryan Tubridy also announced on his morning radio show on Thursday that Cosgrave was due on the TV show.

In a press release on Thursday, RTÉ billed his appearance as giving “his definitive account of his ongoing dispute with the Government and that last minute invite to the Taoiseach; why the Web Summit is off to Portugal for three years; and, after a tumultuous week, will it ever return”.

However he has since declined the invitation to appear on the show.

Earlier this week Mr Cosgrave withdrew from an interview on the RTÉ Six One news with Sharon Ní Bheoláin, leaving his colleague Web Summit co-founder Daire Hickey to face the cameras.

The interview sparked the ire of twitter users who claimed it struck the wrong tone.

During what was a testy interview Ní Bheoláin asked Hickey why the Web Summit “couldn’t let bygones be bygones” amd was it not “rather pointless to engage in this bitter broadside” with the Government over the loss of the Web Summit.

In a statement addressing Mr Cosgrove’s decision not to appear on the Late Late Show, the broadcaster said it was disappointed but that the invitation remained open.

“He confirmed in writing [earlier this week] that he had accepted the invitation,” it said.

“It is Mr Cosgrave’s right to decide that he no longer wants to appear on the programme. We are disappointed that he has now decided not to appear, however, the spot remains open should he change his mind.”