Swansea bid for Anthony Pilkington

Norwich winger reportedly subject of a €3.5 million offer from Michael Laudrup

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup is believed to be keen on Norwich City’s Republic of Ireland international Anthony Pilkington winger due to his versatility. Photograph: Paul Ellis/AFP/  Getty Images

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup is believed to be keen on Norwich City’s Republic of Ireland international Anthony Pilkington winger due to his versatility. Photograph: Paul Ellis/AFP/ Getty Images

Sat, Jan 25, 2014, 01:00


Swansea were reported last night to have made a €3.5 million bid for Republic of Ireland international Anthony Pilkington as Michael Laudrup seeks to strengthen his side’s attacking options after what has been a difficult first half to the season.

The Dane is believed to be keen on the winger due to his versatility and had been reported a couple of weeks ago to be keen on a move for the 25-year-old in the event that neither Thomas Ince nor Wilfried Zaha could be recruited.

Injury problems
His chairman, Huw Jenkins, was less enthusiastic, suggesting that a bid was unlikely given Pilkington’s well documented injury problems but the player’s return to action in the win over Hull City seems to have allayed some of those reservations and the club now appear to have made a move.

Pilkington, whose knee and other injury problems delayed his international debut several times, had played 11 times for Norwich in all competitions up until late November when he was sidelined until last weekend’s appearance from the bench.

The spell out meant that talks over a new deal at Carrow Road stalled although Chris Hughton sought to play the issue down recently.

“With Anthony it’s been a difficult period for him this season where he’s missed games and periods through injuries,” he said, “but he is still a player we very much value and has served us very well. When he’s on the pitch and in good form, up to speed with the injuries, he’s a very good player.”

There was little movement in relation to Wes Hoolahan, meanwhile, with Aston Villa having apparently replied to a letter from Norwich declining their offer of nearly €1 million but said little other than they noted its contents.

Martin O’Neill would most likely settle for anything that involves the two players playing more but Hughton has insisted that both are still very much in his plans.

The Ireland manager will be checking in on some of his other options today when he heads to Southend for City’s cup game against Hull City.

Newly arrived striker Shane Long is cup-tied for the visitors and Robbie Brady misses out with a groin strain but Paul McShane is in line for a recall after a spell out with ankle injury while David Meyler and Stephen Quinn are all in contention to feature.


Irish contingent
The home side have a healthy Irish contingent too with Michael Timlin, Barry Corr and former Chelsea midfielder Conor Clifford all likely to start.

Sligo Rovers have signed 24 year-old forward Eric Odhiambo for the coming season with manager Ian Baraclough claiming that he had been keeping tabs on the versatile Oxford player, who has been capped once by Kenya since his days in the reserve team set up at Leicester City.

Since then, Odhiambo, who can play up front or out on the wing, has had spells in Scotland and Turkey but he arrives after having spent the last few months at Hereford United.

Galway, meanwhile, have confirmed that Vinny Faherty and Ross Kenny have signed for the club.