Chris Forrester keeps up St Pat’s good home record

Brendan clarke makes vital late save

Chris Forrester: got the decisive goal against Sligo.

Chris Forrester: got the decisive goal against Sligo.


ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC 1, SLIGO ROVERS 0 An early strike from Chris Forrester – and a terrific stoppage time save from Brendan Clarke – made it eight straight home league wins for St Pat’s.

In truth, though, it should have been a more comfortable victory than the scoreline suggests for Liam Buckley’s champions as Sligo finished with 10 men.

With James Chambers orchestrating their midfield, St Patrick’s started positively. Forrester shot wide early on before a bit of magic from Mark Quigley saw him beat two defenders and force an awkward save from Gary Rogers with a low drive to the near post.

The home side’s dominant start duly brought its reward on 18 minutes with what proved the decisive goal.

Browne’s ball out of defence found Forrester who fed Fagan. The St Patrick’s striker benefited initially from a slip by Sligo skipper Gavin Peers before cutting across and setting up Forrester, who drilled a crisp right-foot shot across Rogers to the far corner of the net from 20 yards for his 10th goal of the league campaign.

Spell of pressure

Sligo responded with a little spell of pressure which almost brought an equaliser on 21 minutes but for a fine block by Browne from Alan Keane’s shot on the turn after a right scramble in the home box.

St Patrick’s, though, should have been further ahead on 28 minutes from a route one approach. Forrester’s ball over the top put Fagan clean through on goal. The shot arrowed just wide of Rogers far post, however.

Sligo brought on Zayed at the break as they changed their shape to go with two up top. It certainly gave them a bit of impetus with Seán Maguire shooting just wide off his left foot five minutes in. Five minutes later they ought to have been level.

Started the move

Maguire started the move which then involved John Russell and Seamus Conneely. The ball ran into the path of Danny North – who was sent off in the 86th minute – who somehow contrived to shoot wide.

Forrester should have done better after 70 minutes but it didn’t really matter as St Patrick’s held on thanks to a Clarke save from Zayed. ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Clarke; McCormack, Hoare, Browne, Bermingham; Bolger, Chambers; Byrne, Quigley, Forrester; Fagan. SLIGO ROVERS: Rogers; Keane, Peers (McMillan, 60), Spillane, Davoren; Maguire, Cawley, Conneely, Ledwith (Zayed, h/t); Russell; North. Referee: Rob Rogers (Dublin).

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.