Sergio Aguero grabs hat-trick in City comeback over Watford

Manuel Pellegrini’s side were 2-0 down to Watford at half-time

James McClean of Wigan Athletic celebrates his winning goal during the  FA Cup fourth-round match against Crystal Palace at the DW Stadium. Photograph: Clive Mason/Getty Images

James McClean of Wigan Athletic celebrates his winning goal during the FA Cup fourth-round match against Crystal Palace at the DW Stadium. Photograph: Clive Mason/Getty Images


FA Cup fourth round round-up: Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick as Manchester City staged a dramatic second-half fightback to avoid an FA Cup shock with a 4-2 win over Championship side Watford.

The Hornets stunned City as they raced out of the blocks and opened up a 2-0 lead inside the first half-hour through Fernando Forestieri and Troy Deeney at the Etihad Stadium.

City fought back after the break with Aguero striking twice to level and the killer blow came three minutes from time as Jonathan Bond allowed an Aleksandar Kolarov shot to squirm through his grasp.

Aguero completed the comeback in the final minute and City left the field to a huge sigh of relief and with their quadruple challenge still intact.

James McClean’s first official goal for Wigan sent the FA Cup holders into the fifth round at the expense of Crystal Palace as the home side won 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

The summer signing had scored in Latics colours before, but that strike against Sheffield Wednesday is not in the record books after the game was abandoned in heavy rain last month.

It was fitting then that after Ben Watson and Aaron Wilbraham had traded strikes, the heavens opened once more as Republic of Ireland international McClean fired in a 78th-minute winner.

Wigan had gone ahead just before half-time through their FA Cup hero Watson, whose name will forever be synonymous with this competition for the header in last year’s final which famously defeated Manchester City at Wembley.

Substitute Wilfried Bony spared Swansea’s blushes as his second-half double saw the Welsh club come from behind to beat Birmingham 2-1 to secure a place in the fifth round.

The Swans’ poor recent run looked set to continue when Lee Novak’s glancing header gave Birmingham a deserved lead.

But the introduction of Bony at the interval changed the game, with the Ivory Coast international scoring twice in three minutes to take his tally to 16 for the season and seal victory.

Hull safely negotiated a trip to League Two Southend as Matty Fryatt’s second-half double proved enough for a 2-0 victory at Roots Hall over former manager Phil Brown’s side.

Steve Bruce had made sweeping changes with record signings Nikica Jelavic and Shane Long ineligible, so Fryatt and Danny Graham led the attack while goalkeeper Steve Harper came into the side along with the likes of Abdoulaye Faye and David Meyler.

The Premier League team, though, had more than enough quality to see them through, with the Shrimpers – going well in the promotion race – restricted to a few chances, the best falling to striker Barry Corr.

Charis Mavrias’s first Sunderland goal was enough to see off Kidderminster 1-0 and fire the Capital One Cup finalists into the fifth round.

The Greece international’s fifth-minute strike at the Stadium of Light ended non-league Harriers’ dreams of reaching the last 16 for the second time in their history.

But it was far from a classic as Gus Poyet’s much-changed team laboured to beat a club who started the game 79 places below them in the league pyramid three days after denying Manchester United a League Cup final trip to Wembley.

Indeed, had striker Michael Gash taken the glorious first-half opportunity which came his way, the Skrill Premier outfit might even have booked themselves a replay.

However, he did not and the Black Cats, who have won all seven of the cup ties they have played at home this season, have now lost only once in all competitions in 12 attempts.

Southampton put their off-field dramas behind them to reach the fifth round with a 2-0 win at the expense of Yeovil at St Mary’s.

It has been quite a few weeks on the south coast, with club-record signing Dani Osvaldo’s alleged attack on team-mate Jose Fonte bookending a tumultuous period started by the sudden departure of executive chairman Nicola Cortese.

Talk of a meltdown soon followed but Saints remain unbeaten since the divisive Italian’s departure, overcoming Yeovil in front of owner, and newly-appointed non-executive chairperson, Katharina Liebherr.

It was a somewhat harsh scoreline on Gary Johnson’s side, whose attempts to win the fourth-round tie – and emulate the famous giant-killing side of 1949 – were valiant but ultimately fruitless.

An impressive 3,403 supporters made the trip from the West Country and saw their side produce a performance that belied their position 34 places lower in the football pyramid than the Premier League hosts.

There was a certain air of relief when Guly do Prado, who spoke in the programme of his desire to win around Saints fans, slotted home a penalty midway through the first half – the Brazilian’s first goal in two years and 11 days.

Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana saw efforts hit the woodwork either side of the spot-kick, but Yeovil were proving a handful it took for 18-year-old Sam Gallagher to open his senior account with a fine solo effort to put the game to bed and a smile back on Southampton fans’ faces after a difficult few weeks.

Substitute Fraizer Campbell’s opportunistic strike early in the second half proved enough for Cardiff as they saw off Bolton 1-0 at the Reebok Stadium.

Campbell, brought on at half-time, found the net in the 50th minute, taking advantage and slotting the ball in after Wanderers goalkeeper Andy Lonergan had spilled it.

It was the second successive tie in which the striker had come off the bench to score the winner, with him having also done so in the third round when the Welsh side triumphed 2-1 at Newcastle.

It had been a poor game up to that point, and it improved to some extent after as Bolton searched for an equaliser that did not come.

Former loan striker Simon Church returned to haunt Huddersfield as Charlton ended their losing run against the Terriers with a 1-0 win at The John Smith’s Stadium.

Church, who scored once in seven appearances for Town last season, plundered the only goal on 54 minutes from a defensive blunder.

Oscar Gobern gave the ball away and Lawrie Wilson pounced to leave Church in the clear for a side-footed finish from close range.

Huddersfield had won their three previous meetings with Charlton, starting with an FA Cup third-round victory last January.

Brighton won 3-1 at Port Vale as Rohan Ince and Solly March scored either side of Chris Robertson’s equaliser before Jonathan Obika wrapped up victory.

League Two Rochdale lost 2-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday, who had goalscorer Joe Mattocks sent off, as they could not force an equaliser after Michael Rose had pulled one back. Oguchi Onyewu had scored the Owls’ second.

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.