Laudrup seeks legal advice over Swansea City sacking
Dane banned from returning to the training ground to say farewell to the players
Michael Laudrup has strongly criticised the manner of his sacking by Swansea and has said he is taking legal advice over the dismissal.
Michael Laudrup has strongly criticised the manner of his sacking by Swansea City and, in a dispute that is threatening to become increasingly acrimonious, is considering legal action against the club.
The Dane, who said that he had been offered no explanation for his dismissal in his termination letter, also revealed that he was banned from returning to the training ground to say farewell to the players.
The remarks were made in a statement released by the League Managers Association, which has written to Swansea to ask for the reasons behind the club’s decision to terminate the 49-year-old’s contract on Tuesday.
Laudrup is expected to pick up in the region of £3m in compensation – his contract was due to expire at the end of next season – although reaching a settlement could take time.
Swansea have decided not to respond to Laudrup’s comments. In relation to his claims about being denied the chance to return to the training ground to speak to the players, it is understood that Swansea felt it would not be practical given that Garry Monk was taking over as head coach that same day and there was little time to prepare for Cardiff City’s visit tomorrow.
Monk, who has been given the job without any clear timescale has admitted that he hopes to secure the position on a permanent basis.
Asked whether the job was his to lose, Monk replied: “You would hope so. My view has always been for years that I would love to go onto the coaching staff here, or do something at the club, and the ultimate aim would be to manage the club one day – the club know that, the fans know that.
“Of course I look at this as an opportunity. I’m not here to muck around, I’m here to do a proper job and if that proper job ends up leading onto something else, then great.”