Hull City’s George Boyd charged with spitting

Forward clashed with England and Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart

 George Boyd (left) of Hull City is held back by Martin Demichelis (centre) of Manchester City after a clash with Joe Hart (right)  at the KC Stadium. Photograph:  Clint Hughes/Getty Images

George Boyd (left) of Hull City is held back by Martin Demichelis (centre) of Manchester City after a clash with Joe Hart (right) at the KC Stadium. Photograph: Clint Hughes/Getty Images


Hull striker George Boyd has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association after allegedly spitting at Manchester City keeper Joe Hart.

Boyd has until 6pm on Wednesday to respond to the charge, which relates to an incident which was not seen by referee Lee Mason during the Tigers’ 2-0 Barclays Premier League defeat by City at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

An FA statement said: “Hull City’s George Boyd has been charged by the FA following his side’s game against Manchester City on March 15th, 2014.

“The charge is in relation to an alleged breach of FA Rule E1 [a] in that in or around the 68th minute of the game, Boyd spat at Manchester City’s Joe Hart. The incident was not seen by the match officials but caught on video.”

Boyd has until 6pm on March 19th, 2014 to respond to the charge.

“Under a new pilot project in Premier League matches this season, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees will be asked by the FA to review it and advise what, if any action, they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.

“For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence. In this instance, the panel were of the unanimous decision that it was an act of misconduct.”

Boyd and Hart became embroiled in a furious exchange after the striker went to ground under the keeper’s challenge inside the City area. Mr Mason waved away his appeals for a penalty as Hart confronted the Tigers man, intimating that he had dived.

The England international was cautioned after the pair clashed heads, but television replays later suggested Boyd had spat during the bust-up. Hull boss Steve Bruce later defended his player, but the panel of referees decided there was indeed a case to answer. Hart was booked for his part in the incident and the FA has confirmed that, as the referee saw and dealt with his conduct, he will face no further action.

However Boyd, who was not cautioned at the time, has not been so fortunate and will face a ban should he either plead or be found guilty.

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.