Ancelotti happy with Bale’s Real Madrid debut
Coach says world record signing acquitted himself well in tough encounter
Gareth Bale of Real Madrid celebrates scoring the opening goal on his debut during the La Liga match against Villarreal at El Madrigal. Photograph: Denis Doyle/Getty Images
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was more than happy with Gareth Bale’s contribution after the world-record signing scored on his debut in a 2-2 draw at Villarreal.
The Wales winger, a €94 million capture from Tottenham, equalised in the 39th minute after Ruben Cani had fired the Yellow Submarine in front.
Bale’s debut on Saturday night lasted just over an hour and his departure passed the spotlight back to Cristiano Ronaldo, the player he replaced as the world’s most expensive, who fortuitously put the visitors in front in the 64th minute.
The home side deservedly earned a point, though, and secured it when their own former Spurs wideman Giovani dos Santos struck in the 70th minute.
Ancelotti admitted afterwards Villarreal had made life tough for his side, who remain unbeaten in La Liga this season, but he was delighted with the performance of Bale.
“It was a difficult match. I don’t think that was the worst that we have played,” Ancelotti told Real’s official website.
“The team’s reaction after the first goal was good. We scored two goals and if we had paid a little bit more attention we could have won but it’s a fair result because Villarreal played well. They are a good team.
“I think he (Bale) is happy to score his first goal for Real Madrid. He played in a difficult match and he played well, showing his good attitude.It was a hard match for everyone.”
Meanwhile, Ronaldo has agreed a contract extension at the Primera Division club have announced.
Reports last month suggested the Portugal international was set to sign a deal keeping him at the Bernabeu until 2018 and increasing his salary to €17 million per year after tax.
Ronaldo refused to confirm such a deal had been struck at the time, but in a statement on their official website Madrid confirmed they will hold a press conference on Sunday afternoon at which the 28-year-old will sign an extension.
Details have yet to be announced of the new contract.