Paddy Jackson’s boot secures Ulster win

Mark Anscombe’s men second after dogged win over Edinburgh at Murrayfield

Ulster’s Stephen Ferris (number six) at the back of a scrum on his first start in 16 months. Photograph: Russell Cheyne /Inpho

Ulster’s Stephen Ferris (number six) at the back of a scrum on his first start in 16 months. Photograph: Russell Cheyne /Inpho


Edinburgh 3 Ulster 9

In the final match on the now notorious Murrayfield turf before it is relaid, the boot of Paddy Jackson saw Ulster secure a 9-3 RaboDirect Pro 12 victory over hosts Edinburgh.

Jackson slotted two penalties in the first half and one in the second to one first-half strike by Carl Bezuidenhout, to leave Edinburgh with only a losing bonus point and Ulster with four points which lifted them to second spot.

The rain hammered down in the opening quarter as Edinburgh hammered on the visitors’ line, but the pressure was easily absorbed by the Ulster defence.

Grayson Hart and Dougie Fife came closest but finally a penalty, the first of many in the first half, allowed Ulster to clear. The conditions were never going to allow flowing rugby and it was inevitable that the first points came from a penalty as a monster kick from Edinburgh number 10 Bezuidenhouit from halfway cleared the bar to take the home side into the lead after 14 minutes.

Ulster were having trouble with the sparky Edinburgh backs and their task became no easier after lock Iain Henderson collected a yellow card on 20 minutes, but Edinburgh were unable to take advantage.

Despite being a man short, Ulster muscled their way into kickable territory and, when Edinburgh again offended, Jackson had no difficulty in levelling the scores. The game then developed into a midfield struggle with neither side getting the upper hand, but Edinburgh found themselves consistently frustrated with any momentum they tried to build hindered by giving away frequent penalties.

With seven minutes left in the half, Jackson again had the chance to slot a penalty and his kick was good to give Ulster the lead. That advantage was almost increased by a third Jackson penalty attempt soon after but it fell just short.

Ulster went in 6-3 up having visited the Edinburgh 22 no more than three times, and the frustration was easy to see on the home faces.

The visitors started the second half at a fair lick with Henderson, John Afoa and Roger Wilson taking play into he Edinburgh 22 and, from the almost inevitable offence, Jackson added penalty number three to put Ulster 9-3 ahead.

The second half now mirrored the first , in that it was Ulster who dominated possession and territory with Edinburgh having to defend against remorseless attacks.

They withstood everything Ulster grew at them, however, with Roddy Grant, Cornell du Preeze and Grant Gilchrist performing heroically in defence. The only respite came when, from a turnover, Nick De Luca slammed the ball deep into Ulster territory but the ball was eventually scrambled away.

As the final whistle loomed, Edinburgh finally strung some passes together, but they were forced to play too much rugby too far from the red zone.

And, to the surprise of no-one, a match which was dominated by the miserable conditions ended with Ulster kicking a penalty into touch.

Edinburgh : J Cuthbert; D Fife (N De Luca 40), S Beard (S Kennedy 76), A Strauss, T Brown (H Leonard 68); C Bezuidenhout, G Hart; W Blaauw, R Ford , W Nel (E McQuillan), G Gilchrist, I vd Westhuizen , M Coman (T Leonardi 54), R Grant, C Du Preez

Ulster : J Payne; T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, M Heaney (P Marshall 61 ); T Court, R Herring, J Afoa (R Lutton 76), J Muller, I Henderson , S Ferris (R Diack 40), S Doyle (D Tuohy 61), R Wilson (N Williams 54)

Referee : J Lacey (IRFU)

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Screen Name Selection


Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.