Jason Quigley a jewel among middleweights as he struggles to take the positives

Coach Billy Walsh calls on business sector to get involve and help boxers

 Ireland’s Jason Quigley on his way to defeat  against Zanibek Alimkhanuly  of Kazakhstan during their middleweight final clash. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho

Ireland’s Jason Quigley on his way to defeat against Zanibek Alimkhanuly of Kazakhstan during their middleweight final clash. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho

Mon, Oct 28, 2013, 01:00

It was a leaden Jason Quigley who took to his 3.50am flight from Almaty on Sunday morning. Several hours after his World Championships final defeat, the 22-year-old was still of the mood that Kazakhstan had been unkind to him. His feeling was disappointment, when most others saw soaring accomplishment.

Perspective may only settle in when the rawness of his unanimous defeat against Kazakhstan’s gold medal winner Zhanibek Alimkhanuly begins to ebb. Quigley and his coach and father Conor now know without doubt he is one of the brightest middleweights in world boxing. That, at least, has been the other unanimous decision to leave with him from the Palace of Sport, one that has currency beyond the hinterlands of Donegal.

“I’ll probably go away and look at things and try to take the positives out of it but as you know yourself now it’s hard to think of them things,” said Quigley, his words arriving in broken, unforgiving chunks drawing large breaths in between.

“Winning an Irish title this year would have been a dream for me . . . to go on and do what I done . . . I know I’m going to be happy after things are over but when you are a winner deep down and you dig deep and put your whole life into the sport and then get down to the last fight . . . it’s hard to take.”

Kazakh’s win
But even in the heat of the minutes after the Kazakh’s win Irish coach Billy Walsh was thinking of the future and the out-of-ring tasks he may face with Quigley, bronze medal light heavyweight Joe Ward as well as London Olympic medallists Michael Conlan and Paddy Barnes.

Barnes in one of his off-hand quips said he will drop back to the 49 kg division but with the current depth of talent and the world silver medallist an eye-catching crowd pleaser, the coach isn’t without anxiety. John Joe Nevin’s declaration to turn professional in the middle of the amateur World Championships provided an informative backdrop to the Irish success. Walsh will have Rio 2016 in mind and a complacent view that Ireland will be in excellent shape in three years’ time may not be shared by all.

“There are people knocking on the door already for that guy,” warned Walsh nodding towards Quigley. “For Joe Ward, for Conlan, for Barnes, people knocking for all those guys and if they go we will have to start all over again and we only have a couple of years left till Rio. We have to hold on to these guys and keep them comfortable. We have to let them train and do their business without any worries.

“All these countries are getting better, bigger, stronger and faster. We’ve got to keep moving with them. We’ve got to get the facilities to do that. We’ve got to get the sponsorship behind us to enable us to look after these guys and keep them amateur till Rio.”

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.