Cavan boss Andrews resigns
VAL ANDREWS has dismissed any suggestion of “player power” in his resignation as Cavan football manager, claiming instead his “position was untenable” once the players made known their feelings of discontent – while it seems “player power” might yet keep Séamus McEnaney in charge of Meath.
Whatever about the brightness of Cavan’s future – as their back-to-back Ulster under-21 title won on Wednesday would suggest – the county board are now seeking a new football manager, with Terry Hyland, the man successfully guiding those under-21s, inevitably the leading candidate.
For Andrews, however, there was some disappointment that the players didn’t first make known their feelings to him and instead went straight to the county board following a meeting themselves on Tuesday night, where issues around the team preparations were raised.
“Look, the players are entitled to their opinion,” said Andrews. “I don’t particularly agree with it, but my only disappointment is that they didn’t come back to me first, because I heard through the county chairman.
“But if I was being an obstacle then there was no point in enforcing it. It would only further damage Cavan football. So I am respecting the democratic decision of the players.
Andrews didn’t expand too much on what he felt the “issues” were that arose at the players’ meeting. “Well they were nothing major, reasonably trivial, and things that could have been sorted. But maybe that was just masking that the chemistry was not good, but again players are entitled to say that,” he said.
Andrews was in his second year in charge, acting as joint manager last year with Hyland, and a statement issued by the Cavan County Board thanked him for both his service and swift action.
“Following Cavan’s exit from the Allianz National Football league the senior intercounty panel informed the management and board that it was their wish to have a players meeting to analyse their own personal performances from said campaign.
“The players had the blessing of both management and board to have this meeting. A number of issues arose from the meeting and following a discussion with Val Andrews he has decided to tender his resignation as Cavan Senior team manager with immediate effect.
“This decision is yet another example of the genuine interest and love Val Andrews has for Cavan football. Val feels that for the overall well-being of the team which he worked selflessly with, a speedy decision is necessary to afford Cavan County Board every opportunity to make alternative arrangements for the up-coming Ulster Senior football championship and in doing so he wishes the best for Cavan football.”
Cavan are due out in the Ulster championship on May 20th, in Cavan, against title holders Donegal, with the new man likely to be in place well before that.
Meanwhile, McEnaney appears determined to remain in charge of the Meath footballers: his position was discussed at a county board meeting on Wednesday night, and county chairman Barney Allen reportedly met with him yesterday seeking a decision on his future within 24 hours.
However, McEnaney declared his intentions to stay on, forcing the county board to readdress the matter again last night – although it appears the manager does have the backing of his players, despite Meath’s relegation to Division Three after a heavy defeat to Louth in Navan last Sunday.
McEnaney, typically defiant after that game, claiming: “I have been involved in a lot of fights in my life, in my business, personal life, in my family and in football. I have never walked away from a fight in my life. This is a fight and it is a fight we have to get on with.”
Elsewhere, the GAA have renewed their hurling championship sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways for a further five years – also awarding them the naming rights sponsor of new “SkyLine” roof tours at Croke Park, which begin in June.