Is there anything a management committee can do to prevent a developer from building on areas they do not own? Photograph: Thinkstock

Q I live in a small apartment complex built in 2008 where the common areas have not yet been transferred to the owners’ management company (OMC). T(...)

I live in a semi-detached house that was built in the 1970s. The heavy rain of recent months has resulted in the accumulation of water in the sub-f(...)

The addition of a porch to the front of a house, particularly with older properties, is popular because it can improve insulation and security in addition to aesthetics. Photograph: Thinkstock

Q Recently I have been quite unhappy with the state of my porch as it has become quite dishevelled. I plan on replacing it with an improved structu(...)

If your garden is retaining water, it could be due to the fact the ground is low-lying and most of the surface water is draining to this area or  the ground conditions have a poor natural drainage

Q I live on a street in a small town. All the houses are adjoining with some larger than others. My neighbour’s house is one storey higher than min(...)

Digs of a different kind: renting a room in someone’s house is one solution to the drastic lack of Irish university accommodations. The downside is a certain lack of freedom and privacy. Photograph: Thinkstock

Q My son recently accepted an offer at NUIG but finding a place to rent in Galway is very difficult. There are so few places available and what the(...)

Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland report says policy interventions are needed to improve commercial viability and increase the supply of affordable housing. Photograph: Frank Miller

Providing housing for first- time buyers and single people is not commercially viable, and interventions are needed in the market to improve viability(...)

Sales in Dublin for the first half of the year were up by 42.8% – from 5,067 to 7,237

Property transactions for the first half of the year in the Republic are up by more than a third on the same period in 2014. However, it is less certa(...)

The office sector was the star performer in the second quarter of 2015

Total returns from Irish investment property hit 6.3 per cent in the quarter to June 2015, rising above the 4.3 per cent returned in the first quarter(...)

Capital plan: Studio apartments, for rent only, could be built in Dublin if proposals for are accepted. Photograph: Bryan O’Brien/The Irish Times

New studio apartments, for rent only, could be built in Dublin if proposals for the next city development plan are accepted by councillors. The propos(...)

Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly: wrote to council chief executive Owen Keegan last month. Photograph:  Liam Burke/Press 22

In December 2007, Dublin City Council changed its development plan to increase the minimum size of one-bedroom apartments to 55sq m and restrict apart(...)