One year has passed since the declaration of what became the largest Ebola outbreak in history, with more than 10,000 deaths and 24,000 people infected. But health experts and charities have warned the danger is far from over. Picture show healthcare workers prepare to go inside of the high-risk area for the first time, at the Hastings Ebola treatment unit in Freetown, Sierra Leone, in November. Photograph: Daniel Berehulak/The New York Times.

One year has passed since the declaration of what became the largest Ebola outbreak in history, with more than 10,000 deaths and 24,000 people infecte(...)

A local resident moves debris from near his damaged home after Cyclone Pam hit Port Vila, the capital city of  Vanuatu. Photograph: UNICEF Pacific/Handout via Reuters. 0:59

The first aid teams to reach Vanuatu on Sunday encountered widespread devastation and authorities declared a state of emergency after a “monster” cycl(...)

A passion for fashion: Conor Pope working in the Oxfam Ireland shop in Rathfarnham. Photograph: Aidan Crawley

I’m rummaging through my first bag of the morning when I pick out a bra so big you could use it as a parachute. I put this somewhat unconventional (...)

Wasteland: Palestinian boys play on the rubble of a building in Shejaia. Photograph: Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty

Rabah abu Shanab lifts the tin jug off the open fire and pours the coffee carefully into some thimble-like cups. The rickety plastic table wobbles (...)

UK shadow chancellor Ed Balls: “Why, in the five years since this government was first given information about how HSBC helped people evade tax, has there only been one prosecution out of 1,100 individuals identified?”

Oxfam Ireland is urging European leaders to make tax more transparent after the revelation that the HSBC’s Swiss banking arm helped wealthy customers(...)

The congress centre at Davos. Taoiseach Enda Kenny and IDA officials will be holding bilateral meetings on the sidelines of the summit with prospective client companies. Photograph AFP

Thousands of the world’s top business and political leaders are gathering for the 45th annual World Economic Forum in the chic Swiss ski resort of Dav(...)

The 80 wealthiest people in the world altogether own $1.9 trillion (€1.6 trillion), the Oxfam report found. Photograph: Alan Betson/The Irish Times

The world’s richest 1 per cent will own more than the other 99 per cent by next year, Oxfam reported in a study released on Monday.The charity highlig(...)

World leaders including France’s Francois Hollande, Germany’s Angela Merkel and China’s Li Keqiang will gather at the annual Davos forum running from January 21 until January 24, 2015, seeking to chart a path away from fundamentalism towards solidarity.(Photograph: FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP/Getty Images)
Women a scarce commodity at Davos

Women are still scarce at the World Economic Forum in Davos even as the youngest attendees reverse the gender gap for the first time. Among the 2,500 (...)

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has been urged by Oxfam to ‘drive concrete discussion’ on tackling global inequality at the world economic forum in Davos. Photograph: Gareth Chaney/Collins

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has been urged by Oxfam to “drive concrete discussion’’ on tackling global inequality at this week’s world economic forum in Davo(...)

 EU Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker in an interview with French daily ‘Libération’,  said he had been “weakened” by the Lux leaks scandal. Photograph: Julien Warnand/EPA

The Revenue Commissioners are examining the more than 28,000 pages of leaked PricewaterhouseCoopers documents concerning tax deals struck with the Lux(...)