Campylobacter causes acute gastroenteritis with diarrhoea and vomiting, and can be life-threatening in the very young and old. However, it can be killed by cooking the chicken thoroughly, until it reaches a core temperature of 75 degrees.

More than half of Irish-produced whole chickens are contaminated with the food-poisoning bacterium campylobacter, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland(...)

Research from Bord Bia on what people consider the country’s tastiest traditional meal shows two-thirds of Irish people would choose a dinner of bacon and cabbage, with three out of 10 people claiming to crave the dish while travelling abroad. File Photograph: David Sleator/The Irish Times

The Irish food industry may be undergoing a culinary revolution of tastes and flavours, yet the latest research shows we are still savages for bacon a(...)

A Tesco fajita meal kit has been recalled because of the presence of almonds in the seasoning mix. File image: Getty.

A Tesco fajita meal kit has been recalled because of the presence of nuts in the seasoning mix. Tesco Ireland said almond protein was detected in the (...)

FSAI chief executive Alan Reilly: said food companies must have a threat assessment procedure in place to identify where the food supply chain could be vulnerable to fraud. Photograph: Cyril Byrne

Food fraud is still seen as an easy target for criminals and the authorities are not organised enough to tackle the criminals, the outgoing Food Safe(...)

Criticisms included allegations of food contaminated with dead maggots, glass, a razor blade in minced meat; a cigarette in a fruit brack; a fly in a jar of marmalade; an insect in an apple tart; the tip of a knife in spare ribs; wire in takeaway food and a metal bolt in a tin of grapefruit.

Dead maggots, insects, wire and a razor blade were just some of the entities discovered in food items in 2014, while the number of food-related compla(...)

Eddie Rockets in the Bridgewater Shopping Centre in Arklow, Co Wicklow, was one of nine businesses served a closure order by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland last month. Photograph: The Irish Times.

Nine food businesses, including two kebab shops next door to each other, a Chinese restaurant, a grocery shop and an Eddie Rockets outlet, had closure(...)

BPA,  a chemical   found in a range of plastic products, has been found to pose no health risk to consumers of any age.  Photograph: Getty Images

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has welcomed a finding that the chemical Bisphenol A poses no health risk to consumers of any age. The com(...)

Refund may be due for unused blow-dries and gift voucher. Photograph: Thinkstock

In early December a reader called Ros signed up to a package with her local hairdresser to get eight blow-dries for €140. Ros assures Pricewatch th(...)

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland said studies show children are at risk when drinking raw milk. Photograph: Getty Images

A recommendation against drinking raw milk has been reiterated after a European food safety body published a paper highlighting the health risks invol(...)

The Hairy Lemon public house at Stephen Street, Dublin. Photograph: Eric Luke / The Irish Times

Well-known Dublin pub the Hairy Lemon was among a number of outlets served with food closure orders for breaches of food safety legislation by the Foo(...)