Portlaoise hospital: the report says the hospital is “not set up to provide safe acute and elective surgery”. Photograph: James Flynn/AP.

“Urgent correction and reconfiguration” is needed to avoid the “collapse” of care processes at Portlaoise hospital, according to an unpublished revie(...)

The Midland Regional Hospital, Portlaoise: Despite concerns raised in the review about the safety of services, the HSE said  there was no threat to existing facilities at the hospital.

A confidential HSE report has recommended the closure of the emergency department and an end to surgical services at Midland Regional Hospital in Port(...)

Minister for Health James Reilly would have us believe no cull of medical cards is under way. Photograph: Gareth Chaney Collins

The new head of the State’s acute hospitals is only the latest in a long line of senior officials to look at costs in the health service and go “OM(...)

Dr Tony O’Connell, national director of acute hospitals,  has warned hospitals their costs are running at unsustainable levels

The newly appointed head of the State’s acute hospitals has warned hospitals their costs are running at unsustainable levels and must be immediately a(...)

The Health Service Executive is expected to run at least €200 million over budget by the end of this year.

The senior executive in charge of running the country’s hospitals has been transferred to a new post, less than a year after taking up the position(...)

The Minister for Health said: “The acquisition of Mount Carmel as a stand-alone maternity hospital would, I believe, represent a retrograde step.”  Photograph: David Sleator/The Irish Times

The HSE is examining whether the former Mount Carmel private hospital could be transforme(...)

HSE director general Tony O’Brien, who says he can not give details of the drugs  the health executive plans to “delist” from the medical card scheme. Photograph: Alan Betson / The Irish Times

Acute public hospitals will have to make do with nearly €250 million less in funding from the State this year.Separately there will also be “comprehen(...)

Minister for Health Dr James Reilly has asked for a report to be drawn up on the matter and said he would take ‘whatever actions need to be taken to further make sure that this doesn’t happen again’.

The Health Service Executive has apologised “unequivocally” to four families whose babies died during or shortly after birth in the Midland Regional H(...)

Ian Carter, the HSE’s director of acute services: warned of further dysfunction if the Government kept taking money out of the system. Photograph: Dave Meehan.

Hospital consultants are emigrating at the rate of three a month because of deteriorating working conditions, lower pay and “unrelenting” budget cuts,(...)

HSE management yesterday instructed senior staff to reactivate previously prepared contingency arrangements for the strike, which is expected to affect up to 15,000 patients.

Hospitals around the country have begun cancelling outpatient appointments and elective surgery planned for next Tuesday because of the strike by non-(...)