Julian Cadman (7) confirmed as among those killed in Barcelona attack

Family of the missing British-Australian boy confirm he was killed in Thursday's attack

Seven-year-old British-Australian boy Julian Cadman was among the 13 people killed in the Barcelona terror attack, his family have confirmed

Seven-year-old British-Australian boy Julian Cadman was among the 13 people killed in the Barcelona terror attack, his family have confirmed

 

At least 14 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the terror attacks in Spain, with those affected hailing from all over the world.

Citizens of 34 countries were among those killed and injured, with authorities confirming they came from: England, Ireland, Germany, Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Morocco, Canada, China, Colombia, Romania, Venezuela, Cuba, Ecuador, Egypt, Spain, America, Philippines, France, Greece, Holland, Taiwan, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Kuwait, Macedonia, Mauritius, Pakistan, Peru, Dominican Republic and Turkey.

The youngest victim of the attacks is thought to be a three-year-old girl, who died shortly after being taken to hospital.

A six-year-old girl was taken to hospital with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall d’Hebron University hospital told the New York Times . Her nationality was not known. Others are searching frantically for family and friends.

Here is what we know about the victims who have been identified so far:

Julian Cadman

On Sunday the family of the missing seven-year-old British-Australian boy Julian Cadman confirmed he is among the 13 people killed in the Barcelona terror attack.

The Spanish missing persons bureau said his family had confirmed that the seven-year-old died after a van crashed into pedestrians on Las Ramblas on Thursday. "Julian Cadman's family has told us he is unfortunately one of the victims of the attack and has asked us to thank all the people who have spread the news.

"In these very unjust, hard and painful moments, we accompany Julian's family and friends. Rest in peace. Once again we wish to reiterate our appreciation and involvement in your search."

In the immediate aftermath of the attack it was unclear what had happened to Julian. On Friday Theresa May said the British government was "urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing, who is a British dual national".

Reports emerged that he had been separated from his mother, who was badly injured. It is understood that she is in a serious condition in hospital. Family members shared pictures of Julian in an attempt to locate him, while his father and grandmother were understood to have arrived in Spain on Saturday after travelling from Australia.

Bruno Gulotta, Italy

Mr Gulotta (35) was on holiday with his wife and two children, according to his colleagues at the online tech publication Tom’s Hardware. Pino Bruno, the head of the company, was quoted by the Italian news agency Ansa as saying Mr Gulotta’s wife had told him the family were walking down Las Ramblas when the van appeared. Mr Gulotta knelt down to successfully shield their son, five, and daughter, seven months, from the attack. Mr Gulotta’s son and wife saw him die, Italian media reported.

“We put ourselves in the shoes of little Alessandro, who is about to start elementary school knowing his and his family’s life will never be the same again. And we think of baby Aria ... who will never know her Dad,” his colleagues said in a statement.

A woman places a candle next to flowers and a message to the victims on August 18th. Photograph: Javier Soriano/AFP/Getty Images
A woman places a candle next to flowers and a message to the victims on August 18th. Photograph: Javier Soriano/AFP/Getty Images

Luca Russo, Italy

Mr Russo, from Marostica, a town in the northern Veneto region, died on Las Ramblas. He graduated last year in engineering and had just started his first job. He was on holiday with his girlfriend, Marta Scomazzon, who is among three injured Italians, having suffered fractures in the attack. Ms Scomazzon, whose parents have travelled to Barcelona to be with her, told the Italian news agency Ansa: “We were walking together and then the van hit us.

“I fell and realised that Luca wasn’t there anymore, I didn’t see him again, his body was swept away.” Russo’s sister Chiara posted images on Facebook of her smiling brother, alongside those of his body lying on the ground in Barcelona. “Help to bring him home,” I beg you, she wrote.

Elke Vanbockrijck, Belgium

Ms Vanbockrijck (44) was reported to have been in the city on holiday with her husband and two sons, aged 11 and 14. Patrick Dewael, the mayor of Tongeren, told Belgian radio that he had presided over her wedding in 2014. .She was said to have regularly ferried her sons to football practice for KFC Heur Tongeren. A statement from the club said: “She was often at the club, and was committed to our club. We will always remember her as a happy woman, a caring mother and loving wife. Elke will be missed.”

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez

Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday’s deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. Photograph: City of Tongeren In Belgium
Elke Vanbockrijck who was a victim in Thursday’s deadly van attack in Barcelona, Spain. Photograph: City of Tongeren In Belgium

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, Spain

Mr Rodriguez (60) is the first Spanish victim to be named in the Barcelona attack. El Pais reported that he was one of three citizens to have been killed. He was originally from Granada and had been walking along Las Ramblas with his wife, who was seriously injured.

Jared Tucker, US

Mr Tucker was from California. His father, Daniel Tucker, told the New York Daily News his son’s wife had identified his body in a Barcelona morgue. The couple were visiting the city to celebrate their first wedding anniversary. A second American citizen has been confirmed as a casualty, suffering minor injuries in the incident, the US State Department has said.

Pepita Codina, Spain

Ms Codina (75) was from the small town of Hipolit de Voldrega, near Barcelona. Her identity has not yet been formally confirmed, but the mayor of her hometown has said on social media that she was among those killed.

Ana Maria Suarez, Spain

Ms Suarez, a Spainard, was the sole victim of the Cambrils attack in the early hours of Friday morning.

The youngest victim of the attacks was thought to be a three-year-old girl, who died shortly after being taken to hospital. A six-year-old girl was taken to hospital with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall d’Hebron University hospital told the New York Times . Her nationality was not known.

A Portuguese woman, aged 73 or 74, was also killed, the country’s main news agency reported.

The Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia, quoting police, said three Germans were also among the dead.

Ian Moore Wilson

Ian Moore Wilson Canadian Ian Moore Wilson has been confirmed as among those killed, according to his daughter Fiona, a staff sergeant at Vancouver Police Department. In a statement released on the force’s website, she said: “My dad’s passing leaves an immense void in our tight-knit family.

He was desperately loved by us all and will be dearly missed.” Ms Wilson said her father was married to his wife Valerie for 53 years. She paid tribute to those who assisted Mr Wilson in his final moments and to those who focused their attention on her mother’s urgent medical attention and aftercare in the wake of the attack.

Irish citizens

An Irish citizen and his five-year-old son are among the injured.

The boy suffered a broken leg and his father also sustained leg injuries and suspected internal injuries in Las Ramblas after a white Fiat van drove onto the pavement and into a crowd of people in the busy area on Thursday killing 13.

They are part of a family of four who were born in the Philippines but are naturalised Irish citizens and who were holidaying in Spain at the time of the attack. The children were born in Ireland.

The father and mother have been named as Norman and Pederlita Putot, and the son and daughter are Nathaniel and Pearl Putot.

British citizens

So far, the British foreign office has received no confirmed reports of British citizens injured or killed, but Chris Pawley (30), a survivor of the Manchester bombing, was visiting Spain with his partner and was in the area when the attack occurred. He told the Manchester Evening News he could not believe he had been caught up in a second terrorism incident in under six months. He had just left the Ariana Grande concert in May when the bomb detonated.

Mr Pawley said of Thursday’s attack: “There was police everywhere and ambulances, the shops started putting the shutters down. We have just come back to the hotel, as we were caught up in the arena attack - can’t believe it.”

European citizens

France has confirmed that 26 of its citizens were injured, with 11 in a serious condition. Three Dutch nationals were also injured. A Greek diplomat reported three of its nationals had been wounded: a woman and her two children.

The German foreign office has revealed that 13 German nationals are among those injured during Thursday’s attack on Las Ramblas.

Some of them were injured seriously and were still fighting for their lives, said spokesperson Martin Schäfer.

He said he could neither confirm nor rule out earlier reports that three German citizens were among the 14 who died in the attack.

German media is reporting that a group of three teenage girls from Oberhausen in North-Rhine Westphalia are among those injured in the attack. Two seventeen-year-olds and one fourteen-year-old had been on a daytrip to Barcelona when the incident occurred.

Belgium’s foreign affairs minister, Didier Reynders, confirmed on Twitter that one of its citizens had been killed in the attack, and said the Belgian embassy was in touch with hospitals in the area regarding other possible victims.

The Hague said three Dutch nationals had been injured, and a Greek diplomat reported three nationals had been wounded: a woman and her two children.

Other nationalities

China said two people from Taiwan were being treated for severe injuries, and confirmed that a person from Hong Kong had minor injuries.

Australia’s foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said four Australians had been hurt - two women in a serious but stable condition, and two men who were “directly affected” and had gone back to their hotel to seek medical attention.

Throughout the night on Thursday there were urgent appeals on social media for English, Italian and French translators to go to hospitals and clinics to help medical staff attending to dozens of non-Spanish speaking victims.

Guardian service