Couple charged with fatally poisoning 23 children in India
Children, aged between five and 12, died from eating pesticide-contaminated lunches at school
A man mourns the death of his daughter, who died after consuming contaminated meals given to children at a school in India last week. Photograph: Reuters
A school principal and her husband have been charged with murder after 23 children died from eating pesticide-contaminated lunches at the school in eastern India in July, police said today.
The trial of Meena Kumari and her husband is expected to begin soon, said police officer Varun Kumar Sinha.
The couple could face the death penalty if convicted. Investigating police officer Raj Kaushal said the principal’s husband, opposition politician Arjun Rai, stored pesticide at the school which was for use at his agricultural farm.
The charge sheet filed in a court in Bihar state on Sunday said the chef cooked with it by mistake. The children who died were aged between five and 12.