Woman gets €520,000 over death of husband
A woman whose husband bled to death after a mouth gel reacted to his heart medication is to receive €520,000 under a settlement of her High Court action.
Donal (Donie) Kelleher (63), Mogeely, Co Cork, died when the gel, dispensed at a pharmacy to him 16 days earlier for a mouth infection, inter-reacted with Warfarin medication for his heart condition.
Ms Justice Mary Irvine, when ruling the settlement yesterday, was told Mr Kelleher’s reaction to the gel was “off the scale”. The judge said the case involved very tragic circumstances and she extended commiserations to Mrs Kelleher, who was unable to attend court.
Earlier this month, an inquest found Mr Kelleher died from a cerebral haemorrhage due to coagulopathy caused by drug interaction and by reason of medical misadventure.
Ann Kelleher, Carrignashinny, Mogeely, had sued pharmacist Joseph Kelly, trading as Castle Pharmacy, Castlemartyr, Co Cork.
Karen O’Driscoll SC, for Mrs Kelleher, told the court Mr Kelleher had an underactive thyroid gland and atrial fibrillation of the heart. He was prescribed Thyroxine for the thyroid and Warfarin for his heart.
After he complained of soreness in his mouth, his wife went to Castle Pharmacy on September 13th, 2003, where she described his symptoms to the pharmacist and informed him of the prescription medication her husband was taking, counsel said.
Daktarin oral miconazole gel was dispensed to Mrs Kelleher for her husband, she added.
It was claimed an inter-reaction occurred between the gel and the Warfarin resulting in Mr Kelleher developing a spontaneous intercerebral haemorrhage.
He died that September 29th and it was claimed Mrs Kelleher suffered severe mental distress, personal injuries, loss and damages as a result.