Teenager targeted in bomb attack remanded in custody
A teenage boy whose life is under threat and was the target of an attempted bomb attack was remanded in custody yesterday at the Children’s Court in Dublin.
The boy, in his mid-teens, was charged with taking part in a motor theft in Dublin city’s south side on Wednesday.
Judge John Coughlan noted that the teenager also had several other charges pending and gardaí were objecting to bail. The court heard that the youth had already spent a period in custody on remand last year after which he was granted conditional bail. He was barred from parts of Dublin and ordered to obey a nightly curfew.
Garda Michael Lennon told Judge Coughlan the boy had repeatedly broken these terms in recent weeks. The court also heard there were fears for his safety.
An explosive device had been left at an address the boy was allowed to visit and it was “meant for” him, the judge also heard. “This device was viable,” the garda said.
His barrister asked for the HSE to be represented at the case, when it resumes. Judge Coughlan revoked the teenager’s bail and remanded him in custody to appear again next week.