Smelly food tops list of workplace annoyance
Not washing hands in the toilets, clipping toe nails or picking noses at desks also on list
Fish curry... a deadly combination in the office. Photograph: Bryan O’Brien / THE IRISH TIMES
Smelly food has been revealed as the most annoying workplace habit, new research shows.
Stinking out the office with strong-smelling curries or fish tops a list of 10 most irksome office pursuits, according to a survey of almost 2,500 Irish workers.
Taking your shoes off at the desk, taking possessions without asking, and the use bad language also make the list.
A total of 2,467 people were questioned between Monday July 22nd last and Saturday, July 26th, for the survey carried out for Peninsula Ireland, an employment law consultancy.
The top 10 workplace Annoyances, in order of annoyance, are:
1) The smell of hot food causes offence; i.e. curries & fish dishes.
2) Taking your shoes off at your desk.
3) When colleagues take your possessions without asking; i.e. mugs and stationary goods.
4) Personal hygiene - not washing hands in the toilets, clipping toe nails or picking noses at desks.
5) Leaving the kitchen facilities in a messy state.
6) When workers bring crying babies into the office.
7) The quick-fire spread of idle office gossip.
8) Use of unnecessary vulgar language.
9) Co-workers skiving and not putting the required effort in.
10) Sending unnecessary emails to colleagues.