Seventh parole denial for Lennon's killer

Thu, Aug 23, 2012, 01:00

The man who shot and killed former Beatle John Lennon 32 years ago was denied parole for a seventh time, New York State's Department of Corrections said today.

Mark David Chapman (57) is serving a prison sentence of 20 years to life for shooting Lennon four times in the back outside the musician's New York City apartment building on December 8th, 1980.

He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. His parole hearing was earlier this week at Wende Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison in Alden, New York, where he is being held.

"Despite your positive efforts while incarcerated, your release at this time would greatly undermine respect for the law and tend to trivialize the tragic loss of life which you caused as a result of this heinous, unprovoked, violent, cold and calculated crime," Sally Thompson, the parole board's deciding board member, wrote to Chapman, according to a department statement.

Chapman has come up for parole every two years since 2000 and has been turned down each time. After his last hearing in 2010, the three-member parole board cited in denying the request the disregard Chapman "displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life".

Ahead of that hearing, the parole division received dozens of letters arguing against Chapman's release, including one from Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, who said she believed Chapman posed a risk to her, Lennon's two sons, the public and himself. Ono (79) had said two years ago she was trying to be “practical” in asking that her husband’s killer remain behind bars.

Most Discussed