Roddy Doyle: 'Whenever she had her hands on a new Maeve Binchy buke . . .'
– See Maeve Binchy died.
– Sad tha’.
– D’yeh ever read any of her bukes? – No.
– Me neither.
– I read the covers. In the bed like. Whenever she had her hands on a new Maeve Binchy buke, yeh knew it was goin’ to be a quiet fuckin’ night.
– Same in our place.
– Still but. No hard feelin’s.
– I liked her on the radio.
– Yeah. I was thinkin’ tha’ meself earlier, when the News was on, like. I was lookin’ ou’ the kitchen window. An’ young Damien was ou’ there, sittin’ in the deck chair, yeh know – takin’ notes. Watchin’ the polar bear peelin’ the skin off o’ Larry Hennessey’s new English bulldog. An’ I said to meself, Maeve would’ve seen the funny side o’ tha’.
– I know wha’ yeh mean.
– Wha’ for us would be just a normal everyday domestic scene. She would’ve made it look funny.