Coalition faces further questions after Shatter apologises to whistleblowers

Opposition leaders keep up call on Shatter to resign over handling of Garda matters

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has apologised to Garda whistleblowers Sgt Maurice McCabe and John Wilson over remarks he made during the course of the penalty points controversy.

Thu, Mar 27, 2014, 06:27

Pressure on the Coalition has eased after the apology in the Dáil by Minister for Justice Alan Shatter to the two Garda whistleblowers.

However, there is still concern in both Government parties over when Mr Shatter and Attorney General Máire Whelan first became aware of the widespread recording of phone calls to and from Garda stations and why the Cabinet had not been informed earlier.

Mr Shatter yesterday withdrew his earlier assertion in the Dáil that Garda whistleblowers Sgt Maurice McCabe and former garda John Wilson had failed to co-operate with an investigation into the penalty points system.

“It was never my intention to mislead the House and I believe it is appropriate that I apologise to both and withdraw the statements made,” he said.


‘I apologise’
“I am aware that the whistleblowers and others have issues with some remarks I made outside this House. It was not my intention to misrepresent any matter connected with this issue. I apologise for any offence that may have been caused by any other remarks made by me,” said Mr Shatter.

Sgt McCabe last night said he was glad the record of the Dáil had been corrected. Mr Wilson also welcomed the move, saying it was “a long time coming”.

In a separate speech earlier in the day, Mr Shatter gave an explanation as to why a letter sent earlier this month by former Garda commissioner Martin Callinan, outlining the scale of phone taping, failed to reach him until Monday afternoon.

He said his department received other correspondence about recordings but insisted he was not aware of the wider practice until he was briefed by officials on Monday evening.

TDs in both Coalition parties, particularly Labour, expressed some anxiety about why it had taken two weeks for officials at the department to inform the Minister.


Version of events
Labour TDs last night asked the party leadership if they could believe Mr Shatter’s version of events.

In response, Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore told his TDs that he had sought reassurances from Mr Shatter that his version of events as outlined to the Dáil was correct. Mr Gilmore told his TDs he believed this was the case, with a senior source saying: “If the guy said it’s true, you have to believe him.”

It was also stressed that Labour Ministers fully trusted Mr Shatter, and believed the issue of recordings at Garda stations was of genuine significance.

The role of the Attorney General was raised by a number of deputies and Senators.

There was some speculation that Ms Whelan’s role was highlighted to help protect the position of Mr Shatter, since Labour would not push for his resignation if Fine Gael could demand the same of the Attorney General.


‘Full confidence’
Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin told RTÉ’s Six-One News that Mr Shatter “absolutely has my full confidence, that of the Labour Party, and indeed every member of the Government”.