Police, BBC discuss Savile claims
Police child abuse officers have met BBC officials to discuss allegations over late TV presenter Sir Jimmy Savile, Scotland Yard said tonight.
The police said they were contacting all individuals who have made claims about the presenter and should know how many victims there are some time next week.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Officials from the BBC have met this morning at New Scotland Yard with senior officers from the Child Abuse Investigations Command and representatives from NSPCC.
“We are now collating information gathered from a range of sources across the UK and will continue contacting individuals who have made allegations in relation to the late Jimmy Savile over the coming weekend.
“We do not expect to have a clear picture of exactly how many women may have suffered abuse until next week and want to allow time for victims to reflect on what they may have experienced.”
Scotland Yard is currently considering a number of claims, including a historic rape allegation referred to Met officers by Surrey Police.
St Albans Tory MP Anne Main has also written to Lord Justice Leveson asking him to investigate how the broadcaster handled the allegations as part of his inquiry into press standards.
A growing number of victims have come forward to allege that Sir Jimmy sexually assaulted them after five women took part in a documentary claiming that they had been abused.
In the documentary, screened on Wednesday, the alleged victims accused the Jim’ll Fix It presenter of sexually assaulting them, some while on BBC premises.
Police in Northamptonshire have been contacted by two alleged victims, while it emerged this week that Surrey, Sussex and Jersey Police have also received complaints.
Broadcaster Janet Street-Porter revealed that she was aware of rumours about the television and radio presenter’s alleged abuse of under-age girls when she worked at the BBC in the late 1980s.
The journalist also said there was a culture of inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes of the “male-dominated” entertainment industry, adding that nothing would have been done even if the allegations about the late Top Of The Pops host were raised.
Street-Porter, who joined the BBC as an executive in 1987, said: “I was aware of the rumours about Jimmy Savile, I was also aware of rumours about other people.
“There was a culture, and it was a generational thing, in areas of light entertainment behaviour was tolerated.”