Ploughing Championships - traffic advice
Over 150,000 people are expected to attend over the Heathpark course near New Ross over the three days. Heavy traffic is expected around the venue and on the approaches to Heathpark.
Traffic is building up on approach to Heathpark and in the surrounding area. Gardaí are reminding motorists travelling South on the M9 to take Carlow and Kilkenny exits. Heavy congestion has been reported in Waterford. Long delays have also been reported from O'Hanrahans Bridge through New Ross and into Adamstown. It is also busy in Ballinaboola.
Parking restrictions will be in place on all approaches to Heathpark. One-way systems will operate each day from 6am to facilitate traffic travelling to the car parking areas.
These one-way systems will switch around at approximately 3pm every day until Thursday and traffic will be directed in the opposite direction to facilitate patrons exiting from the car parks.
Route 1 (Purple route)
Traffic from Munster & south Kilkenny via Waterford & New Ross
• Travel via the Waterford by-pass on the N25 towards New Ross.
• Cross O’Hanrahan Bridge at New Ross and proceed along the quay on the N25 eastbound to Ballinaboola.
• Turn left in Ballinaboola and access Blue Car Parks (on right)
Route 2 (Orange route)
Connacht & midlands via Kilkenny & Thomastown
• Traffic entering Kilkenny will be directed to the Ring Road and proceed to
the Bennettsbridge Road roundabout (junction with the R700)
• Proceed on the R700 through Bennettsbridge, Thomastown and Inistioge to New Ross.
• Cross the ‘Ferry Bridge’ turning left onto the N30 (eastbound).
• Proceed on N30 and follow the directional signs to access the Orange Car Parks.
Route 3 (Green route)
Traffic from north west, midlands travelling via Carlow or M9 Motorway
• Traffic travelling on the M9 exit at Junction 5 (Carlow) onto the N80 Enniscorthy Road
• Traffic travelling from the midlands to Carlow follow directional signs to the N80 Bunclody/Enniscorthy Road.
• Proceed to Bunclody turning right onto the R746.
• Follow directional signs to the junction with the N30 (Enniscorthy to New Ross Road) at Ballymackesy cross.
• At Ballymackesy cross turn right onto the N30 proceed through Clonroche village taking a left turn towards Heathpark and follow signs to the Green Car Parks.
Route 4 (Purple route)
Traffic from Dublin, Northern Ireland via Belfast/Newry, Wicklow
• M11 / N11 southbound.
• Proceed on the N11, through Ferns and Enniscorthy following the signs for Wexford.
• At Ballindinas roundabout (at Wexford town), take the third exit onto the N25 towards New Ross
• Turn right at Carrickbyrne (before the Garda station) and follow signs to the Purple Car Parks.
Route 5 (Yellow route)
South Wexford (South of N25)
• Traffic from south Wexford (south of the N25) should proceed via Wellingtonbridge or the Duncannon Line to the villages of Ballinaboola or Newbawn.
• Follow directional signage to access the Yellow Car Parks.