Plan to prevent Bandon flooding unveiled
DREDGING, underground pump stations and a new footbridge form part of a €10 million plan to prevent flooding in Bandon for 100 years from 2015.
Unveiling the new flood plan in Bandon yesterday, Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW) Brian Hayes said work on the scheme was expected to begin in May 2013 and some 150 homes and 200 commercial properties would be protected from flooding as a result.
New walls and embankments will be built to control the flow of water in the river Bandon, which burst its banks in November 2009 causing more than €20 million of damage to the west Cork town.
Underground pump stations will be installed in low-lying areas of the town.
Dredging of the river will reach a depth of 1.8m at its deepest level next to the Bandon weir and will continue for 3.6km upriver, approximately halfway to Innishannon, where it will taper off to meet the existing river bed level.
Flood defences, including walls and embankments, will be built where the ground level is too low for dredging alone to suffice.
A 100-year-old footbridge will be replaced by a 45m new bridge at the same location.
“There was concern that debris could catch on the old bridge and increase the risk of flooding,” Kieran Thornton, director of engineering at consulting firm WYG Ireland, said.
Piers forming part of the historic Bandon bridge will be underpinned as part of the works.
Mr Hayes said the work would take an estimated two years to complete. “Bandon has a long history of flooding and I am pleased to be able to announce that this scheme, when completed, will provide a solution to the ongoing flooding concerns for the people of Bandon,” he said.
Local campaigners welcomed the plans, particularly the length and depth of the dredging.
Bandon Flood Relief Committee members Gillian Powell and Maria McLaughlin met Mr Hayes and officials from the OPW last year to discuss measures required to prevent another devastating flood in the town.
“We are happy with the careful planning of this scheme,” Ms Powell said. “The Clúid housing development will have special embankments built around it and the aesthetics are lovely.”
The scheme will be on public display at Bandon town hall on Wednesday, June 20th, between 10am and 5pm.