No further probable cases of swine flu in Ireland reported

Fri, May 1, 2009, 01:00

There are no further probable or confirmed cases of swine flu in Ireland, the Department of Health revealed tonight.

In addition, the Department said results of tests on a man recently returned to Ireland from Mexico may be revealed tonight or tomorrow.

Speaking at a press conference this evening, the chief medical officer at the Department of Health Dr Tony Holohan said the man’s case was the only probable infection reported so far in Ireland.

Professor Bill Hall, chairman of the Irish influenza pandemic expert group, said it was likely the case would be confirmed by tests either late tonight or tomorrow.

The initial tests were carried out at the national virus reference laboratory in Dublin and they were redone and cross-checked in the UK.

The man, who lives in the east of the country has been given Tamiflu, an antiviral drug, and is in quarantine in his home. He is said to be recovering well.

Dr Kevin Kelleher said the Health Service Executive has set up a helpline on 1800 941 100 and carries recorded, up-to-date information about flu symptoms, what to do if you are worried and updated travel advice.

He said the HSE will be sending an information leaflet to all homes in the country next week. It is available to download from the HSE website,

Dr Holohan said yesterday the arrival of the virus in Ireland “is something we were expecting”, while the Minister for Health Mary Harney last night called on people not to panic after news of the probable case was announced. Ms Harney said she had full confidence that Ireland has the medical expertise to deal with an outbreak of swine flu

There are eight suspected cases under investigation in Northern Ireland. Another 18 have been found negative.