New inquiry into McAreavey murder
A new police team is taking over the investigation and a judicial inquiry is being launched into the death of honeymooner Michaela McAreavey in Mauritius.
Mauritian prime minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam confirmed that fresh experts would examine the case to see what further actions can be taken to bring the killers to justice.
Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore said concerns of the families and Irish authorities over the publication of photographs of the newlywed as she lay dead in a hotel were made clear.
“I want to thank Prime Minister Ramgoolam for this response and for the cooperation which we are receiving from the Mauritian authorities,” he said.
“The Irish Government will continue to meet its full consular responsibilities to Michaela, her husband John and their families, as it does to all Irish citizens.”
“The offers of assistance from the authorities in Northern Ireland and the UK are greatly appreciated.
The Mauritian prime minister gave the assurances during a meeting with the Irish ambassador to the country, Brendan McMahon, in Port Louis.
The ambassador told the prime minister and the Mauritian foreign minister Arvin Boolell that the McAreavey and Harte families have been deeply distressed and hurt by the publication of photographs last weekend in the Mauritian Sunday Times.
The Tánaiste added: “The prime minister advised the ambassador that the government of Mauritius deeply regretted and condemned the leaking and publication of the photographs which appeared in the Sunday Times of Mauritius. He indicated that there would be a thorough police investigation into the matter and that anyone found to be involved faced prosecution. ”
Appointment of a new police team and a judicial inquiry follows a decision to allow Northern Ireland’s Attorney General to examine papers from the trial. Legends hotel workers Sandip Moneea and Avinash Treebhoowoon were cleared of the murder by a jury in Port Louis last week.
Mrs McAreavey (27) from County Tyrone, was killed in her room at the hotel while on honeymoon in January 2011.
The Department of Foreign Affairs remains in close contact with the McAreavey and Harte families offering consular support and advice.
Mr Gilmore also asked for the families’ privacy to be respected.