More than 30 Savile victims lodge civil claims

Thu, Feb 14, 2013, 00:00

More than 30 victims of alleged sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile have lodged civil claims for compensation against the BBC and the estate of the disgraced presenter.

The law firm Pannone confirmed yesterday it had issued a high court claim on behalf of 31 victims against the Savile estate, including seven or eight against the BBC.

More are expected to join the claims, which could result in a substantial payout. Alan Collins, a solicitor at Pannone, said: “We have prepared 31 claims but we are still speaking to other victims. They are all against his estate and seven or eight are against the BBC.”

The level of compensation awarded to claimants will depend on a psychiatric assessment about how the abuse has affected their lives, Collins said.

They are the first civil damages claims to be formally lodged at the high court since the Savile scandal began in October last year.

A BBC spokesman said: “We’re unable to comment on any legal claims of this nature made against the corporation.”

Personal injury lawyer Liz Dux confirmed yesterday she had “intimated” claims on behalf of more than 60 alleged victims. – (Guardian service)