Missing concert girl (19) found
A teenage girl who went missing at a Swedish House Mafia concert at the Phoenix Park has been found safe and well.
19-year old Aoife Finan from Cobh, Co Cork was last seen at about 11.30pm last Saturday. She was due to return home to Cork by bus but failed to meet friends at the scheduled time.
Aoife's parents, Sinead and Eric, had issued a public appeal for assistance in tracing their daughter. They were very concerned for her welfare as Aoife could not be reached on her phone. The teenager had contacted friends on another phone on Saturday night to say that she was lost.
Friends and family had become increasingly fearful for Aoife's safety after a bag containing some of her possessions including her mobile phone was found in the Phoenix Park by an Order of Malta worker on Sunday.
Shortly before 6.30pm this evening, however, Aoife contacted her mother and informed her that she was on a bus to Cork from Dublin.
Eric Finan said he was relieved to hear that his daughter had not come to any harm.
“She has been in contact with her mother in the last forty minutes to say she is on a bus to Cork. So all is well that ends well in this case.”
Aoife's mother, Sinead, said she was ecstatic when she heard her daughter's voice at the end of the line.
"It was a very emotional phone call but it was the call I had been hoping for and praying for all day. I just want her back home safe."
Separately, the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has asked for a report from the Garda Commissioner Martin Callanan about events at the concert on Saturday night which saw a death from a suspected drugs overdose and a spate of stabbings.
Mr Shatter said he shared the concerns of the public about what happened at the Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park in which nine people were stabbed.
Promoters MCD and the garda are due to meet tomorrow morning to review what happened with widespread reports of violence and drunkenness.
Mr Shatter noted that the other concerts in the Phoenix Park involving The Stone Roses and Snow Patrol had been trouble-free.
“In these circumstances questions will have to be addressed as to whether there were particular circumstances surrounding this concert which gave rise to difficulties,” he said.
Mr Shatter said there will be licensing of all security personnel for event management by this autumn.
Junior Minister Brian Hayes, who has responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW) which runs the park said he will expect reports from both MCD and the garda about what happened at Saturday’s concert.
He said there was a wider problem in society with drink and drugs and that’s “completely unacceptable” despite the recession.
“We’re living in very difficult times and people are going to let off steam, but they can’t do that in a way that has that impact on other people... We take these issues very seriously.”
A MCD spokesman said they were “very happy” to co-operate with both the gardai and the Department of Justice pointing out that 511 stewards and 145 gardaí were on duty within the arena. The license for the concert stipulated that a minimum of 364 security personnel be on duty.
Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown treated 38 patients on Saturday night and Sunday morning, the Health Service Executive said today.