Man remanded over Moloney death
A young trainee mechanic accused of killing journalist Eugene Moloney, who died after an incident in Dublin last month, was further remanded in custody today pending the preparation of a book of evidence.
Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, lived at Portobello Place and was making his way home in the early hours of June 24th.
The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street. He was taken to St James’s hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Gary Burch (21), of Kennington Close Templeogue, Dublin, was charged last week with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney.
Mr Burch, who made no reply to the charge, did not apply for bail at his first court appearance last Tuesday.
He appeared again at Dublin District Court today where Gda Sgt Sean McAvinchey told Judge Hugh O’Donnell the State was applying for a further six-week remand in custody.
Defence solicitor Con Pendred, said he was "concerned" about references in the media to his client.
In replyn Judge O’Donnell said: “I can’t control the media, nobody can."
“I just want to say it”, Mr Pendred answered, to which the judge said: “Okay."
No applications for bail was made and Mr Burch, who was wearing a striped grey hooded top, remained silent during the brief proceedings.
Mr Burch, who had been doing a FÁS training course in mechanics, was further remanded in custody to appear again later this month.