Man injured after costume catches fire

Thu, Nov 1, 2012, 00:00

A man in Galway suffered serious burns last night after his Halloween costume caught fire at a nightclub in the city.

The victim, aged in his twenties, was taken from the Halo nightclub to University College Hospital Galway where his condition is described as critical.

Gardaí are investigating.

Elsewhere in Tallaght, Co Dublin, two other people were injured following firework and bonfire accidents. A 12-year-old boy was left with second-degree burns after a firework exploded in his face.

In a separate incident, a woman in her 20s sustained burn injuries following a small explosion at a bonfire.

Despite the injuries, a Dublin Fire Brigade spokesman said there had been no noticeable increase in the number of calls the emergency services had received.

The Fire Brigade processed around 1,100 calls in the Leinster region between 4pm on Halloween day to 8am this morning.