Irish man killed in Mozambique

William Deasy had been working for engineering and construction group Kentz. Picture: Google Maps

William Deasy had been working for engineering and construction group Kentz. Picture: Google Maps

Mon, Feb 25, 2013, 00:00

An Irish man has been shot dead in Mozambique.

William Deasy (32) from Cork is understood to have been shot in Mozambique where he was working on a construction project for Kentz Engineering.

The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that an Irishman had died in Mozambique and said the Irish Embassy in Maputo was providing consular assistance.

A spokeswoman for Kentz Engineering confirmed that one of its employees had been killed in Mozambique but declined to comment further on the circumstances of the death.

However the spokeswoman confirmed that the man had not died as a result of an industrial accident at the firm's construction site at Moma, Mineral Sands.

"Kentz confirms the death of a team member, who was on project assignment in Mozambique," said Kentz in a statement. "The individual was a 32 year-old Irish man and his family have been informed, we are in close contact with them during this dreadful time.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and express our sincere condolences to the family, relatives and friends of our deceased team member. A full investigation is under way by local police authorities in Mozambique."

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore extended his sympathies to the family and friends of Mr Deasy.

“I want to first of all express my sympathy and the sympathy of my Department with his family. It’s a very sad occasion and my thoughts are with his family and with his friends,” Mr Gilmore said.

“Our embassy in Maputo and our Ambassador in Maputo is handling the situation and is working with the family and the company that the man worked for.”

Mr Gilmore was speaking in the Department of Foreign Affairs following a meeting with chairman of the European Parliament’s budget committee MEP Alain Lamassoure.