Woman (22) dies in Co Cork house fire
Midleton blaze not suspicious; Fire services rescued victim’s father and siblings
The house in Midelton, Co Cork where a 22-year-old woman died in the early hours of this morning. Photograph: Barry Roche
Gardai have ruled out foul play in the death of a young woman in a fire at her family home in Midleton in Co Cork in the early hours of this morning.
The 22-year-old, named locally as Stacey Dunlea, was pronounced dead at the scene after she was removed by firefighters from the house on the New Cork Road in the town.
Ms Dunlea, who had been out socialising in Midleton earlier in the night, was in an upstairs bedroom in the dormer terraced house when a fire broke out about 3.30am.
Firefighters using breathing apparatus were able to rescue Ms Dunlea’s parents, Paddy and Chrissie, as well as her brothers, Christy and Pierce and her sisters, Christine and Louise.
It’s understood all six were taken by ambulance to the Mercy University Hospital in Cork where they were treated for smoke inhalation before being discharged earlier today.
Meanwhile the body of Ms Dunlea was removed to Cork University Hospital for a post-mortem examination which gardai hope will establish the exact cause of death.
Garda technical experts carried out a forensic examination at the house and gardai are satisfied foul play was not involved in starting the fire.
A Garda spokesman said they are treating the fatal fire as a tragic accident and will now being preparing a file on the young woman’s death for an inquest at the coroner’s court.
Locals in Midleton today spoke of their shock at the tragedy and described Dunlea family who are very involved in the local GAA club “as very well respected”.