Two jailed over attempted raid on home of businessman

Judge says actions of ‘gangsters’ must not be tolerated

Mon, Feb 24, 2014, 15:37

Two men have been jailed for 12 years and seven years respectively after subjecting a family to what a judge described as a terrifying ordeal when they attempted to rob them in their home in Co Cork last year.

Trevor O’Sullivan (38) from Curraheen Close, Bishopstown in Cork; and Vincent Murray (38) from Glandore Park, Knocknaheeney, Cork; both pleaded to attempted aggravated burglary at the home of businessman, Pat Glavin at Rougrane, Glanmire, Co Cork on August 11th, 2013.

Judge Sean O Donnabhain said that it was hard “to imagine the terror and the upset” Mr Glavin and his partner, Esther Delaney and their two daughters, aged 12 and nine, endured after they were informed by gardai the accused and others had targeted their home.

“To expose a citizen to this sort of risk from gangsters should not be tolerated in this city,” said Judge O’Donnabhain as he sentenced O’Sullivan to 15 years in jail with three years suspended and Murray to ten years in jail with three years suspended.

Det Insp Brian Goulding told Cork Circuit Criminal Court that as a result of intelligence received gardaí became aware O’Sullivan and another man had targeted Mr Glavin who ran a successful fast-food van catering business.

Gardai learned of the planned burglary in June and mounted a surveillance operation on Mr Glavin’s home in a rural part of Glanmire.

O’Sullivan was observed carrying out reconnaissance on Mr Glavin’s home from nearby fields on July 29th, 2013.

Two days later on July 31st, 2013, O’Sullivan and another man were observed being dropped off by a third man near the house around 10.30am and carrying out further reconnaissance and they were again dropped off that night at 10.30pm where they did a further stake out.

Gardaí believed the gang planned to carry out the robbery on the Bank Holiday Monday, August 5th, and having informed Mr Glavin and his family that they were the target of a planned raid, gardaí moved the Glavins out of their home.

However, the raid was called off and the Glavins returned home on August 6th but the worry knowing that they were the intended target of a robbery took a toll on the family before gardaí confirmed the gang now planned to rob them on August 11th.

The family were advised of the date of the raid and were moved out of the house.

Gardaí learned the gang had bought three ready to go mobile phones at three separate locations in Cork on the morning of August 11th and only began using them that night.

Gardai, including armed members of the Regional Support Unit were in place when a silver Toyota Avensis pulled up near the Glavin house at 10.30pm and three men got out before a rented black Mazda pulled up moments later and the men got items out of the boot.

Irish Times News



News - direct to your inbox

Which Daily Digest would you like?