Junior doctor strike deferred
Action planned for next Wednesday postponed to allow IMO to consider HSE proposals
Photograph: Hugh Macknight/PA Wire
A planned strike next Wednesday by Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) junior doctors has been deferred for a week to allow the IMO to consider HSE proposals on working hours.
Following talks at the Labour Relations Commission yesterday, a proposal has been tabled which the IMO has agreed to consider. The IMO non-consultant hospital doctors committee will meet on Monday when a decision will be made on whether to put the proposals to a ballot.
IMO assistant director Eric Young said “The situation remains uncertain but in the interest of patient safety we have agreed to the LRC’s request to suspend the action. However if the proposals are not acceptable to the IMO NCHD Committee the HSE will be obliged to put in place adequate contingency plans to allow the industrial action to proceed on October 2nd.”
The IMO is seeking an immediate end to shifts runnings to more than 24 hours and is also looking for the HSE to agree a detailed plan on achieving compliance with EU rules on working hours.
Last Tuesday, the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation promised support for the IMO in its dispute .
Following talks on Tuesday the IMO and the HSE considered proposals for a roster verification process to examine rosters at local hospital level.