Body of homeless addict found on Ennis golf course
Judge had earlier this year said State must find accommodation for man
James Sherlock had been in court for setting fire to the Lakes Nursing Home in Killaloe in August 2010.
The body of a 24-year-old homeless man has been found in the grounds of Ennis golf club.
Mr Sherlock, a double leg amputee, was before the court for setting fire to the Lakes Nursing Home in Killaloe in August 2010.
A 95-year-old female resident in the room opposite to Mr Sherlock died on the night as residents were being evacuated from the home.
The woman died from natural causes and not from the effects of the fire.
Mr Sherlock’s sentencing was adjourned to October, pending efforts to secure accommodation for him.
However, today, gardaí confirmed they had recovered the body of Mr Sherlock near the eighth green at Ennis golf club yesterday afternoon.
Gardaí also recovered a sleeping bag from the site and believe Mr Sherlock had been squatting there for a number of nights.
It is suspected Mr Sherlock died of a drug overdose and a postmortem is to be carried out today.
Mr Sherlock had both legs amputated below the knee due to his addiction to heroin.
This is the second time the Sherlock family has been hit by tragedy. Mr Sherlock’s mother Martina died in December 2008 due to organ failure caused by sepsis.
Ms Sherlock had first attended the emergency unit at Ennis General Hospital that June and was not diagnosed with appendicitis until November 2008.
Mr Sherlock’s father James Sherlock snr took a High Court action against the HSE and an amount of compensation was paid out to Mr Sherlock and members of the family in 2011.