Gardaí have 'all resources' to find detective's murderers
The Garda Síochána has all of the necessary resources and legislation available to it in order to bring to justice those responsible for the murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe, Minister for Justice Alan Shatter said today.
Mr Shatter said it was "totally unacceptable" that any member of the Garda force should lose their life. No one would rest until those responsible were brought before the courts, he said.
Gardaí had the support of the Government and his own personal support in the work they were doing and he knew it was their intention to bring to justice those responsible for the "horrendous and callous act".
The detective, a father of two in his 40s, was gunned down during a raid on Lordship credit union in Belurgan, less than half a mile from his home, on Friday night.
Earlier, Garda sources said the four-man armed gang had escaped with €4,000.
The gang had been lying in wait for the isolated Credit Union to close. They would have known that a Garda escort unit would have been in attendance.
Tonight the crime scene at Bellurgan, Jenkinstown, near the border with Northern Ireland, remained sealed off as Gardaí continued evidential examinations. A cordon extending for several miles was widened.
Up to 100 investigators from the Special Detective Unit and the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation are involved. Other police have cut short holidays and come in on rest days to help. They are trawling through hours of CCTV footage and have drawn up a list of known suspects.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland has also offered assistance in what has become a cross-border manhunt.
Detectives in Dundalk believe a criminal gang rather than dissident republicans were responsible but were not ruling anything out.
Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan said: “There are up to four people involved in the actual raid. How many were involved beyond that will remain to be seen. We will put all our energy into finding out precisely who was behind this robbery.
“It is too early to speculate whether there was a subversive element to this or whether they are ordinary criminals.”
In their latest appeal for information, detectives in Dundalk said they were particularly keen to hear from anyone who saw a dark-coloured vehicle — possibly a Volkswagen Passat — driving erratically in the area on Friday night.
Adrian Donohoe’s murder is the first of a serving Garda officer for 17 years and sparked widespread revulsion throughout Irish society.
President Michael D Higgins was among those leading the tributes. He described the killing as a dreadful crime and said all Irish people would be truly appalled.
Taoiseach Enda Kenny said the murder was an outrageous and appalling act of cold-blooded violence.
There has been cross-border support from Northern Ireland Justice Minister David Ford and Secretary of State Theresa Villiers.
A full postmortem took place on Det Garda Donohoe's remains yesterday.
Locals in the close-knit rural community said they had been left stunned by the murder of such a well known and popular figure.
Cardinal Sean Brady said he was “deeply upset” to hear the news of the fatal shooting of Det Garda Donohoe.