Fan hurt at Oasis gig settles action
AN OASIS fan who claimed he was injured at the band’s concert at Slane Castle three years ago, has settled his High Court action on undisclosed terms.
Paul Kennedy had told the court his ankle was fractured when he was pushed against a barrier in a crush while queuing for drinks.
Mr Kennedy (22), Ballinteer Park, Ballinteer, Dublin, had sued MCD Productions, Dún Laoghaire; Lord Henry Mountcharles of Slane Castle; and Solak Bars Ltd of Upper Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin over injuries allegedly suffered at the Oasis concert on June 20th, 2009. The defendants had denied liability.
On the second day of the case yesterday, Mr Justice Eamon de Valera was told it had been settled. No details were disclosed.
In opening the case on Wednesday, David Nowlan SC, for Mr Kennedy, said MCD was sued as the events manager of the concert, and Solak Bars because it organised the bars at the venue.
Mr Kennedy had waited half an hour in a queue to buy drink, counsel said. The serving of drink was so slow it led to a “highly dangerous” build-up of people in the corralled area, the “inevitable” happened, there was pushing from behind with the people in front pushing back, and Mr Kennedy was caught in the middle.
Counsel said there was no criticism of Mr Kennedy and no suggestion of any form of bad behaviour. The crush was so bad a panic ensued and girls started screaming, he said.
Mr Kennedy was caught “in a human crush”, Mr Nowlan said. He thought he had sprained his ankle and went back to the concert. The next day he was found to have a fracture.
Counsel said Mr Kennedy could not continue with his Fás electrician’s apprenticeship course in 2009 and was unable to take it up again until the following year.