Family of shot man complains to coroner

Tue, Dec 4, 2012, 00:00

The father of a man who was shot five years ago told the Dublin Coroner’s Court the Garda’s failure to update the family on the investigation has left his wife “completely lost” and “dumbfounded”.

Matthew Martin was speaking as gardaí at the court requested a further adjournment of the inquest into the death of his son Paul “Farmer” Martin.

The 39-year-old father of one from Kippure Park in Finglas, north Dublin, was shot dead when two men burst into the Jolly Toper pub and opened fire on him as he attended a funeral on August 23rd, 2008. Martin was known to gardaí, having previously served time in prison following an armed robbery.

His father had previously complained to coroner Dr Brian Farrell that his family was being ignored by gardaí but was assured a liaison officer would be in touch. At yesterday’s sitting of the court he said he had had no contact with gardaí since the inquest was last mentioned six months ago.

“No one has spoken to me since I was here the last time. I phoned three times and they put the phone down.

“You said the last time that the liaison officer would be sorted out but no one has called. They never darkened the door,” he said.

Mr Martin said that it was “not right” for his wife to be “ignored like this”.

Det Insp Kieran McEneaney said a new family liaison officer had been appointed. He said no one at Finglas Garda station would have hung up on the family when they called. Dr Farrell said the liaison officer would be asked to call on Mr Martin and his wife rather than have them call the station.

Requesting a further six-month adjournment, Det Insp McEneaney said gardaí were nearing completion of their investigation and a file was expected to be ready for the Director of Public Prosecutions within three months.

Dr Farrell adjourned the inquest for further mention on June 24th next year.