Three held on Butterly charges further remanded in custody

Chief superintendent tells Special Criminal Court he fears further offences

Thu, Mar 14, 2013, 16:21

Three Dublin men charged in connection with the fatal shooting of dissident republican Peter Butterly in Co Meath last week have been further remanded in custody at the Special Criminal Court.

Mr Butterly, a 35-year-old father-of-two, was shot dead in the car park of the Huntsman Inn at Gormanston, Co Meath on March 6th. The three men were charged in connection with the shooting at a special sitting of the non jury court last Saturday night.

They are Edward Mc Grath (31), of Land Dale Lawns, Springfield, Tallaght, Dublin 24; Dean Evans (22), of Grange Park Rise, Raheny, Dublin and David Cullen (28), of Brackenwood Avenue, Balbriggan, Co Dublin.

Mr Evans and Mr McGrath are each charged with the unlawful possession of a 9mm calibre Beretta semi-automatic pistol and seven rounds of ammunition with intent to endanger life at the car park of The Huntsman Inn on March 6th.

They are also each charged with membership of an illegal organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh na hEireann on the same date.

Mr Cullen is charged with the unlawful possession of a 9mm calibre Beretta semi-automatic pistol at Gormanston, Co Meath on March 6th. Chief Superintendent Aidan Glackin objected to bail applications by Mr McGrath and Mr Cullen and said he believed that if they were freed on bail there was a danger that further serious offences would be committed.

Mr Justice Paul Butler, presiding, said the court was satisfied that the Chief Superintendent’s belief was solid and in the circumstances the court refused bail. All three men were remanded in custody until April 30th when their case will be mentioned again.