Sudden death of man in his 20s in east Belfast investigated

PSNI says two men held on suspicion of possession with intent to supply drugs in connection with death

A PSNI spokeswoman confirmed two men have been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A and B drugs and possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs in connection with the sudden death.

A PSNI spokeswoman confirmed two men have been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A and B drugs and possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs in connection with the sudden death.

Mon, Jul 8, 2013, 15:43

Police in North Ireland are investigating the sudden death of a man in east Belfast.

The man, who was in his 20s, died yesterday, and forensic tests are being carried out to establish the cause.

A PSNI spokeswoman confirmed two men have been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A and B drugs and possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs in connection with the sudden death.

They are both in custody and are assisting police with their inquiries.

At this stage, the man’s death is not being linked with the unexplained deaths of eight people in their 20s and 30s in Greater Belfast and Coleraine in recent weeks.

Police said the cause of each death is still under investigation and officers are awaiting the results of toxicology tests.

Health authorities had raised concerns about green-coloured ecstasy-type tablets with a castle or crown logo, but last week the PSNI said they did not believe a single drug was responsible for the eight deaths.

Earlier, community groups across east Belfast gathered to call for an end to drug-dealing.

Mark Houston, director of the East Belfast Mission which organised the event, said: “The community is united against this. There is a message to those who are supplying and dealing these things — the community does not want it.”

PA